The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a way to convert Action<->Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
> What should happen to the items inside a project if you turn it into a folder? > Should all the items become projects in their own right?
> That seems like how it would have to work

yes

> Changing a folder into a project seems more straightforward; all the
> contained projects would become action groups.

yes

peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemer View Post
OK - here's another...

how to turn a folder into a project and vice versa?

:-)

PETER
It doesn't turn a project into a folder but I found something this morning that helped me with something that's happened to me frequently while getting things into OF.

I made a project, but then realized that rather than 1 project, I had 4 related projects that I wanted in a folder. In the sidebar, I control-clicked on the project and one of the options was group in new folder. That was exactly what I wanted to do (or would have if I had created more than one of these already.

This just seemed related to this discussion, so I thought I'd toss it in here.

malisa,

That's very cool! I hadn't noticed that yet. Note that you can select multiple projects (using command-clicks) in the sidebar and group them, even if they aren't next to each other.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
malisa,

That's very cool! I hadn't noticed that yet. Note that you can select multiple projects (using command-clicks) in the sidebar and group them, even if they aren't next to each other.
Thanks Curt. You answered me on another thread, suggesting 'focus'ing. I'm off to see if what you state here works for that too. I was thinking I'd have to re-order my sidebar in a convoluted way. But if command clicking works...it should be all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
Converting an action to a project is simple enough: Just drag it from the main actions window over to the projects sidebar where you would like the project to appear, and it will become a project.

I don't think you can the other way, however (turning a project back into an action).
Worked for me...thanks!

I made a project, but then realized that rather than 1 project, I had 4 related projects that I wanted in a folder. In the sidebar, I control-clicked on the project and one of the options was group in new folder. That was exactly what I wanted to do (or would have if I had created more than one of these already.

This is an old thread that pre-dates my use of OmniFocus, so I hadn't seen this before. It's very cool.

Is there somewhere that these tips and tricks are compiled?

Hello folks,

First time poster. I use a couple of keyboard shortcuts for this manoeuvre.

Cmd-4 will move the focus to the sidebar.
Ctrl-Cmd-Arrows will perform outlining movements.

So, if from the Inbox I highlight a task line, press Ctrl-Cmd-Left, it'll appear as a new project in the sidebar (assuming I'm in planning mode).

If you then use Cmd-4 to focus on the sidebar, you can use Ctrl-Cmd-Up to move that new project into any folder in that list.

You might need to use Ctrl-Cmd-Right to make it obey the tree depth, but it seems to work nicely. Might make a TextExpander snippet bound to an unused F-key to make that a macro.

Hope that helps