The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Very slow synching - is it normal? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
upgraded to latest OF desktop + iPhone 1.0.3
did: File > move old data...
I have about 45 projects, most of them under 5 actions
synching to mobileme account
iPhone connected via WIFI, nothing else going up/down on network
I'm on a cable connection about 50kb up 1mb down

It takes roughly 55sec to 1:15mn to synch

+ about 10 sec just to launch the app...

Is my experience unusual or am I particularly demanding? It really makes it hard to use OF iPhone on a day to day basis...

Last edited by yann; 2008-08-15 at 06:32 AM..

No, this doesn't sound normal. One possibility I can think of - if you are making changes on both the desktop and the phone without syncing in between, it can take a lot longer for the changes to get merged - it's much more work than if you've only got changes on one side or the other to be merged. If that's your problem, try making sure that you have each client synced up when you leave it and when you enter it and things should be a good bit faster.

anything else I can try?

Just synched from desktop and tried synching iPhone after that, on WIFI, same conditions as described above... Got exactly the same time actually: 1:15 mn (I used a timer to make sure...)

Thanks!

If the file size on your Mac is also growing, you may need to force a "smooshing" of your database:

Sync all your desktop computers, then run the attached applescript on whichever one has the most up-to-date info.
(You can run an applescript by opening the "Script Editor" application, opening the script file, and pressing the "Run" button.)
Next, open up your iDisk (or whatever location you're storing your sync database in) and rename its copy of the OmniFocus database to "OmniFocus-Old".
Do a sync from the machine that you ran the applescript on.
Launch OmniFocus on your phone and start a sync; when asked whether to use the 'local' or 'server' copy, choose 'server'.

Your syncs should now take a reasonable amount of time again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CoalesceDatabase.scpt.zip (3.1 KB, 548 views)