The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Merlin2 or OmniPlan2 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Both manuals might write the same, but in my experience I just have many more issues with an mpp import via Merlin than with OP.
If only the OP team would repair the bug with importing MPP milestones as 0-day tasks with locked dates, the mpp import would even be bug free for me ,at least for the mpp files that are currently available to me.

Your Billings export sounds like a good idea, but as so often, I have the feeling that this good idea might actually be a dungeon of effort.
I would prefer OP for the iPad first, please! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarkelo View Post
I asked about Billings in this forum and haven't got an answer yet :( (except for some gibberish post in unknown language). It's handy when you plan a project and then send an estimate to client based on the plan. I'm puzzled as of why Omni didn't think about that. Maybe they did and someone will answer the question soon.
if you want a guaranteed answer from Omni, you need to send the question to them directly via email to omniplan@omnigroup.com or Help->Send Feedback, rather than relying upon them to stumble across it on the user forum. You should get a response by the end of the next business day in most cases. It is also the best way to make a feature request or bug report.

My guess is that Billings integration was seen as something a relatively small number of customers would use compared to other features they regard as core functionality. There haven't been any posts to any Omni forum asking for Billings integration with OmniPlan prior to yours. Doesn't mean it isn't a great idea (I have no opinion on that) but it does make it easier to see why it might not have been at the top of the must-have features list for OP 2.0, which tackled many of the more frequently requested forum requests.

What exactly are you envisioning with this proposed integration? I can't examine the AppleScript dictionary for Billings here on my iPad, but it might be possible to code a script that you run to shovel the selected item(s) off to Billings. The likelihood that the AppleScript Fairy will put such a script under your pillow is made much greater (though still small) if there's a clear, concise description to work from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What exactly are you envisioning with this proposed integration? I can't examine the AppleScript dictionary for Billings here on my iPad, but it might be possible to code a script that you run to shovel the selected item(s) off to Billings. The likelihood that the AppleScript Fairy will put such a script under your pillow is made much greater (though still small) if there's a clear, concise description to work from...
What I want is to be able to export all project items with its estimated duration into Billings, where hourly rate applied to it and then I can send the estimate to customer.

The way it's done in Merlin I can choose to export it either as estimate slips or working ones.

It helps when you build a proposal. You can send the draft plan and the estimate together and it makes everything clear to your client what it takes and how much it's going to cost.

I'm surprised that nobody has asked for it so far. I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't know AppleScript :)

I love some of the Omni products but I have to say I bought OmniPlan 1.5 and it was not ready for prime time. I set up a large project only to have the critical path not display correctly.

The Omni Group's support team was very friendly but their basic answer was that it was a known bug. However it took months for that know bug to finally be addressed in an update. By that time I had to move on to something else that would work. So... I have copy of the first OmniPlan that's hardly ever been used.

I'd just be careful with OmniPlan 2. Make sure it will really hold up to daily use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessem View Post
I'd just be careful with OmniPlan 2. Make sure it will really hold up to daily use.
I guess I'm in the same boat as you were/are. I love OmniFocus and OmniGraffle Pro and would like to fall for OP2, but not yet.

The latest find is that OP2 doesn't allow me to change resource utilisation for particular task. Say, when the person is not available 100% of her time. In Merlin I can change Given Planned Utilisation for the task and I'm done (explained here). I can't find anything similar in OP2. If I change Units for the resource it changes it globally. There was a suggestion how to do something like this in OP2, but it looks more like a hack to me, while having a dedicated column in Merlin is more natural and can be seen immediately without playing with time allocation.

EDIT: Sorry, guys, I was talking off my a** here. Just found today how to do this. Via Inspector either choose the task and go to Task:Assignments or choose the resource and in Inspector go to Resource:Assignments. The former is better because you deal with the task you need to change and if you have combined 2+ projects in one file you may have tasks with the same name in different projects and the latter won't let you see which project the task if from (I don't see it at least).

Also, Merlin's master file to combine multiple projects is superior from my point of view to the proposed way of managing multiple projects in OP2.

For the same money Merlin feels superior so far. Sorry, Omni!

Last edited by amarkelo; 2011-12-04 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: I found how to change resource utilisation.