The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Miscellaneous project created automatically!? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Every time I move an action to the Inbox OF creates a Miscellaneous Project, and moves that Action there.

So, I looked in preferences and noticed that Data > Default List for Single Actions was set to "Miscellaneous". Instead, i changed it to "Create when next needed".
Then I tried the same operation again, and a new Miscellaneous Project was created... Again, I looked in the preferences, and now the setting was restored to "Miscellaneous"...!

Any idea what this is about? :-O

I should say that when I create an action from scratch I don't have this problem.

Further investigating shows that this only happens to actions that have a context assigned to it.

Ie, when moving an Action that have a Context assigned to it, OF creates a Miscellaneous project and put that Action in it.

Is this a bug, or me not understanding how OF works?
And what about that I'm not able to set the Default List for Single Actions prefernce set to "Miscellaneous"?

Hmmm... I forgot that I also had "Clean up inbox items which have: Either A Project or a Context" set... Hrmm...

I guess this is correct then.

Sorry for using up the bits on the server. Maybe someone can have some use of this monologue! ;)

Setting the preference to "Create when next needed" will process the first action with a context assigned but no project by creating the Miscellaneous project, then setting that preference to add any similar items in the future to the project it created.

There are a couple of ways you can control what happens here. First would be to set the "Clean up inbox items which have" preference to "Both a Project and a Context". That setting would leave the context-but-no-project items in your inbox until you assigned them both.

The other option would be to create a project you want to hold those items, then use the "Default List" pop-up to specify the one you created. In the absence of info from the customer about where to put those items, though, OmniFocus does the best it can, which is the behavior you were originally seeing. :-)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Brian; 2012-01-03 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: fix capitalization.