The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Still Long Sync on iPhone... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiko View Post
I also have same problem here. Syncs take 50 seconds approximately. I have 14 zip files 49 actions! I am using mobile me.
Give us a call at 800.315.OMNI or email the support ninjas and we'll be happy to help.

I too am having this problem of slow syncing.

I'm using MobileMe between 2 computers and 1 iPhone. The two computers always have OF running so that they will sync regularly.

My sync times range from 60 seconds to over 2 minutes. Just now I synced my iPhone (last sync was about 1 hour ago) and it took 1 minute, 55 seconds. (all on very fast WIFI - over 16Mb down and 2Mb up).

I have 92 projects and 1707 actions in 29 zip files.

I move old data to Archive once per week.

ADDITIONALLY, has anyone noticed that sometimes when you open the iPhone version of OF, it takes a LONG time to go through the process of "Optimizing Database"? Sometimes on the order of a minute or two for me.

I'm on an iPhone 3G, if it matters.

(submitting this to the ninjas as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beharkey View Post
ADDITIONALLY, has anyone noticed that sometimes when you open the iPhone version of OF, it takes a LONG time to go through the process of "Optimizing Database"? Sometimes on the order of a minute or two for me.
I've noticed that as well. For a while it seemed to be reliably every other launch, but now there is no apparent pattern, and the maximum time to do it seems to have decreased. I expect that the time to do the optimization (when it takes a while) is also dependent on how many zip files there are outstanding, but that is just speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Ol!ver, did the tickets come from the same email address that your forum subscription uses? The ninjas got pretty crushed by email immediately after the release of the iPhone application, which is when your tickets from that address came in. They'll respond much more quickly if you give them another try. :-)
Yeah, they did.

I'll give it another go Brian, cheers.

I'm having the same problem. Syncing OF iPhone usually takes 1 minute or longer (up to 4 minutes).

And here's the thing: When I sync OF Desktop over the same connection (Internet Tethering) it takes no longer than 5 seconds.

Frustrating. :(

PS: My database usually contains around 350 actions. And I use swissdisk.com.
PPS: "Optimizing Database" also takes quite long sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
That said, we did just track down a problem that can cause OmniFocus for iPhone to freeze for much longer than expected when integrating changes at the end of the sync process: instead of processing all of the downloaded changes at once, it's processing each change independently (recalculating everything, saving, then starting on the next change). This takes much longer than it's supposed to, and unlike the rest of the sync process the app will stop responding while this is happening, without even a progress bar to let you know what it's doing. That's definitely not intentional, and we'll try to get it fixed for the next release.
I'm also experiencing this. And if I quit OmniFocus immediately after syncing then during the next launch the Optimizing Database process takes pretty long.

Syncing mostly takes around 90 seconds. Even if I sync and then re-sync it takes at least 30 seconds.

Hope these problems get solved soon.

Add me to the list; syncing is a tedious affair. It's interesting how some people can report 5-10 second synchronizations while others are stuck with unusually long sync times. I sometimes wonder if it is simply mobileme that's the bottleneck here, but who knows. I've see OF sync quickly, but lately it's very slow, despite all the typical synchronization tricks.

I haven't noticed anybody else mention this, but I've been off the boards for quite a while (got a new job recently). Anyway, my iphone app, after the sync, won't update the Nearby area. I've deleted & reinstalled the app, but I have to quit out and go back in for it to get updated. Likewise, going from the Info screen (where I'm silently urging the sync to go quickly) back to the Nearby list, then to the Home list in the app, causes the application to crash. I'm running 1.5.3.

I guess the point of my contribution is that I'm experiencing unusually long sync times too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswitt View Post
It's interesting how some people can report 5-10 second synchronizations while others are stuck with unusually long sync times.
Clean living and righteous thoughts, that's the secret :D

I'm also getting 60-90 second sync times, or longer. Latest versions of all software, syncing via Mobile Me. Syncing is nearly instantaneous on MBP, not so on my 3GS phone.

Some ideas:
  • The number of sync files shown on the phone pre-sync isn't a great measure of the sync time. The number doesn't include the number of files on the server which need to be downloaded and processed.
  • The desktop/laptop machines have a huge advantage in processor power. So as the number of changes to be processed grows, the iPhone will fall further behind the desktop.
  • My usual process is to sync my iPhone and MBP in the morning. I spend most of the day at my computer, so don't tend to sync the iPhone, or even touch OF on it during the day. I also use a bunch of checklist style template projects. It's not unusual for me to build up 100-200 zip files during the day. Long OF syncs result.

I always switch to the info screen during long syncs and watch the status bar. If I let the sync complete, then do another sync after that, the second sync is usual very quick.
  • I wonder if there is a memory issue at play. How often are people power-cycling their iPhones? (I mean a full power down: 5 seconds on the sleep button, then slide the red slider.) Perhaps there's a correlation between rebooting the phone and sync time.

Could people post their reboot frequency and whether they are having long/short syncs?

I'm occasionally having long syncs and only reboot every couple of weeks.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswitt View Post

I guess the point of my contribution is that I'm experiencing unusually long sync times too.
Same here recently. I ran the archive utility on the desktop yesterday and I now have 39 projects, 245 actions, and 10 zip files. I just launched OmniFocus on the iPhone and optimization took around 7-8 seconds, and the sync took almost another 60 seconds over wi-fi. Syncing over 3G is much worse, and over Edge (which is the coverage in my home area) is unbearable. I suppose this could all be a MobileMe problem, but whatever the cause, it's about unworkable at this point.