The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish: Send Address Book card to Inbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use my Services > OmniFocus: Send to Inbox keyboard shortcut to add the majority of my new tasks to OmniFocus from Mail and OmniWeb. It's very helpful that the OmniFocus tasks automatically link back to the email message or Web page.

I just tried my first Send to Inbox from Address Book. This feature is disabled if a card is selected. So I selected a phone number and successfully created the OmniFocus task. However, all that appears in the note is the phone number -- there's no link back to Address Book.

I found several threads that mentioned dragging an Address Book card into an existing task note. That works, but it requires opening OmniFocus, locating the task, opening the note, and adding a space to separate the AB card link from existing text.

It would be so much smoother if Send to Inbox from Address Book automatically created the link à la Mail and OmniWeb.

-- Ward

[submitted as formal feedback]

Here is a process that works fine for me. Locate the contact in Address Book and select any text in the card. This step just activates some text so that the Services menu command works. Then activate the 'OmniFocus: Send to Inbox' command through the menu or hot key. When the Quick Entry window comes up, delete the text (from step #1 above) in the note field if not needed , then drag the address card from Address Book into the Quick Entry note field and you're all set. You may need to drag the Quick Entry window to one side to get to the card that you want to link to the task, but other than that it is pretty painless.

Now that I think about what I just wrote, the above is even more complicated than it needs to be. Just locate the card in Address, activate the Quick Entry panel using the hot key set in OF's preference, activate the QE note field, and drag the card into the note field. This makes the selecting text, using the Services menu, and deleting text step unnecessary.

... still not as slick as Send to Inbox.

Now that I've been spoiled by Send to Inbox in Mail and OmniWeb, I long for it everywhere!

-- Ward