The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jott integration? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Omni,

Great first release of your iPhone app. Had an idea that I'd like to share.

I'm not a fan of typing. Especially on mobile devices. Sometimes, you just gotta do it. But seems for the most part, seems that need not be the case with tasks anymore.

For a while now, I've been using Jott to capture my messages from my phone. I have a custom JottLink that parses the text to determine due dates, projects, contexts, etc. And then forms the structured OF mail messages to send to myself. Mail.app picks them up and tosses them into my workstation's OF database. Lovely. No typing. Just no way to view tasks from device yet (was waiting for iPhone OF app before I dug into that one).

So the idea (feature request, if you like) is to enable voice transcription to OF-iPhone right on the device itself. Maybe you add the capability; or maybe you talk to Jott and take advantage of their expertise (they already have an iPhone app too; though I think it uses their transcription service on servers, not on device). I can see why Jott may want to keep items in their notes/task list. But maybe they would open it up, and do something like JottLink local to the iPhone.

Whatever the implementation, hopefully the idea is clear and resonates with other users as well.

Cheers.

I have used jott in the car to submit to toodledo.com and then use a great script by ptone (OFTD) to sync toodledo with OF.

Now I would like to have jott go straight into OF somehow. No reason to recreate jott, just leverage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrop View Post
Now I would like to have jott go straight into OF somehow. No reason to recreate jott, just leverage it.
I would agree with this in general. I will say, however, that the current Jott iPhone app is unusable. It can only send audio to their service for transcription when the app is open, and it takes forever for any single message to get delivered. So my existing JottLink --> OF app works much better. Short of having transcription on the device itself and communicating with OF-iPhone directly on the device, this is about the only reasonable option as far as I can tell.

Hmmm.

Here's a trick that worked for me - create a gmail address to be used JUST for Jott. Have that forward incoming messages to my.address+omnifocus@gmail.com. Turn on OF's Mail.app rule to process any incoming address including +omnifocus and your Jott messages will show up in OF.

sounds like that might work fine for me. Thanks!

I would like to go directly from Jott to OF iPhone (don't have and may not need OF full version).

Who do you want to Jott?

"Me."

Jott yourself. Beep.

"Fix Sprinklers at Context Home for Project Yardwork by August 1st 2008."