The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shortcut to convert an inbox item into a project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I realise that many of the items I enter in OF via the quick entry window need to become projects (because they are made of several actions).

So, once these items are in my inbox, is there a shortcut to convert these into projects? I have seen that I can drag them into the left column when I am in Planning mode, but it would be faster with a keyboard shortcut...

Thank you for helping!

command-[
The same keyboard shortcut (outdent) that turns an action into a project in the library will work here.

Great!

Thanks Lizard! I couldn't find in the docs... sorry for bothering you!

Gabriel

How do you enter CMD-[ in a non-US keyboard? On my keyboard I have to use ALT-8 to enter [, and trying CMD-ALT-8 triggers display magnification. Is there an alternative key binding for this, or a possibility to change key bindings?

On a somewhat related note, I would like multiple lines of text when sent to the Quick Entry window to show up as separate Actions, rather than as separate lines in the notes field.

I realise that some may like the existing behaviour, so how about have an action, accessible under the 'Cog' menu, that allows you to toggle between these two behaviours.

Old thread, but...

- What is the menu command for this? On my iPad it's easy to convert an action to a Project. But I can't find it on my Mac version.

- As pnr says, I would like to see more international Shortcuts in all Omni products. Many shortcuts are strange letters that non US keyboards don't have as default, which means that you have to press ALT to get them, and in doing so triggers something else...

Even if you actually are able to change shortcuts via System preferences > Keyboard, it's better that we can use existing ones I guess.

Edit->Outlining->Outdent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
Many shortcuts are strange letters that non US keyboards don't have as default, which means that you have to press ALT to get them, and in doing so triggers something else...
What's an example of a shortcut that does that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What's an example of a shortcut that does that?
Same problem here, I made a feature request for a toolbar item to do this, see my other post today in the same forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal_S View Post
Same problem here, I made a feature request for a toolbar item to do this, see my other post today in the same forum.
I was asking for an example of where including the alt key incorrectly triggers something else, as suggested by the previous poster. I don't have any trouble imagining that a different keyboard layout might make an arbitrary keyboard shortcut less convenient. Seems pretty clear that to have any appreciable number of shortcuts, quite a few will be less convenient for some set of keyboards, no? On an English language keyboard, the selected choices make sense, are easy to type, and there's even a visual element to remind you, once you know that they do indent or outdent. Those keyboard layouts are used by the single biggest chunk of Omni's customers, I'm sure. As you know, such a keyboard would be a headache in an environment where one needed to type umlauts and other such marks with great frequency. Conversely, a programmer whose language used many [] characters would be unhappy using a Swiss keyboard, I think.

Why not use the System Preferences Keyboard section to make a different pair of shortcuts that are more convenient and memorable for you? You don't really want to have to move the mouse cursor up to the toolbar and press a button while typing, do you? I was able to change the shortcut to be the same key sequence you have to type, so it is possible to alter them. Looking at OmniFocus, I don't think very many of the keyboard shortcuts are particularly intuitive (though they may make a consistent group of similar functions, like the collapse/expand shortcuts), you just have to memorize the ones you use frequently if you want the shortcut. It would be a support challenge (and make the forum less useful) if OmniFocus had a different set of keyboard shortcuts for each localization, don't you think? To make any sense of Lizard's original post giving the key combo, for example, you would need to know if your version used the same layout as hers, or if not, have a table of the shortcuts for each to try to find the underlying function (this is one reason I usually specify the menu item as well as they keyboard shortcut).