The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Opera tabs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
I don't know, these thumbnails still seem pretty useful even with a lot of tabs open:

ok, i agree, that there go more than 10, maybe about 20 to 25 horizontal tabs into one browser window, if you size it the whole screen width. A lot more than i initially thougt, so "tab capacity" seems not to be a problem for most of the people.
But expanding the width of a browser window to the whole screen width is going to produce much free (white) space on right an left of most web pages, or make lines of text unreadable long.

I still believe, that horizontal tabs cause a massive loss of usable space in the browser window, even on the whole screen.
They just don't fit for the common format of web pages, as most of them are relatively narrow but often very long.

Vertical tabs need to stay, at least as an option!

I have to say that this looks like a good solution to the horizontal tab problem. If the next version of OmniWeb was to offer this and vertical tabs (but not both on the screen at the same time), then I suspect that a lot of people who complain about the vertical tab only interface would be pleased. Vertical tabs are still far more logical to me with respect to scrolling so I definitely wouldn't want them to go away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas_g View Post
ok, i agree, that there go more than 10, maybe about 20 to 25 horizontal tabs into one browser window, if you size it the whole screen width. A lot more than i initially thougt, so "tab capacity" seems not to be a problem for most of the people.
But expanding the width of a browser window to the whole screen width is going to produce much free (white) space on right an left of most web pages, or make lines of text unreadable long.
BTW, that screen shot was with the browser window at the width I always have it at, maybe 1200px wide. The screenshot looks huge for some reason. So I got all those previews on top of a normal web surfing view.

The main thing the Opera horizontal thing has "over" the OW vertical way is that they can be reduced/converted easily to "normal" non-graphical tabs.

Just to prevent any confusion for people who are not familiar with OmniWeb, what you mean is that the Opera ones can be converted into "normal", horizontal, non-graphical tabs. OmniWeb offers easy conversion to vertical, non-graphical tabs too, don't forget - just a click of the button in the tab drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Just to prevent any confusion for people who are not familiar with OmniWeb, what you mean is that the Opera ones can be converted into "normal", horizontal, non-graphical tabs. OmniWeb offers easy conversion to vertical, non-graphical tabs too, don't forget - just a click of the button in the tab drawer.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

I requested this feature before.

I think height is too precious (because most websites have a vertical flow) to use horizontal visual tabs. But if you can use both, why not.

Otherwise it's nice to see this feature implemented in a more mainstream browser (at last). Opera have done a terrific job with their UI (well if you don't look at the clunky preferences) compared to version 9.