The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5.6 sp = awesome Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have to say, for an "alpha" it's better than some "releases" (hello, Shiira!).

The page rendering is gorgeous, fast, and accurate. The new features like the new web inspector & drosera support is excellent.

All the features I use -- ad blocking, history searching, etc all work great.

Thanks for sharing these builds with us!

Agreed, I'm absolutely thrilled with it.

I've managed to convert a number of people to the way of OmniWeb since I registered it last fall, and have made a few more drop the Safari 3 Beta for the OmniWeb 5.6 Alpha.

It says a lot about your product when the Alpha version is that compelling.

I agree. The latest builds have been rock solid. All of Handycam's compliments apply. Thanks to Omni Group for their interaction with their users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique Strategy
Agreed, I'm absolutely thrilled with it.

I've managed to convert a number of people to the way of OmniWeb since I registered it last fall, and have made a few more drop the Safari 3 Beta for the OmniWeb 5.6 Alpha.

It says a lot about your product when the Alpha version is that compelling.
We should wish good for Safari but their overwriting webkit, a central system framework used by many,many third party apps with a BETA is really unacceptable. I can't recommend it to anyone because of it. Nobody can give up everything in hand and test their application against some beta framework. For example, Real Networks must be real busy porting Realplayer 11 (some surprises) to OS X. Would they stop and start coding Realplayer 10 from strach just to fix beta webkit issues?

I said the same on a troubleshooting site, some geniuses thought I am speaking against Safari. No, even Microsoft won't write mshtml.dll (equivalent of webkit) with a beta. That is what Safari 3 beta does.

Funny is, as you can see from Omniweb, it is really easy for an application to have its own/newer/older frameworks in its OWN .app package. The designer of this great OS (OS X) doesn't know it? Really not responsible action from a company like Apple.

Yes. You are right. What Safari 3 Beta does is pretty crazy. I had to reinstall the OS on my parents' computer because of Safari 3. My own system is holding up ok, strangely enough. Apple has been audacious as of late, that is certainly true. I guess they feel arrogant now that iPhone is out.