The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF is very slow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrump View Post
whpalmer4 - fair point, but imagine the frustration of being able to throw more power at it and getting minimal return. I'm not saying I don't love Omnifocus, I do, I just was asking a question to understand if I was willing to throw even more power at it would it help. The answer seems to be no.
As usual, my aim is to help people better utilize what they've got right now, because I want Omni to spend the time to do things right, rather than rushing out releases to fix problems introduced by the previous release rushed out to fix problems introduced by...well, you get the picture. I'm definitely in favor of their spending some time harvesting the low-hanging fruit in the performance arena, and I'm sure the ninjas will agree that I'm not at all shy about pointing out defects and opportunities for improvement.

I haven't had the opportunity to try OF and my database on a faster machine, though I can attest that it is distinctly slower on my iMac G5 (final model). It thus seems unlikely to me that a machine that delivers faster single-core instruction execution isn't going to get you some speed if the OF working set stays in RAM. I don't think the program is often I/O bound in normal operation. If I recall correctly, Ken said that OF 2.0 would require Snow Leopard, so maybe that means they'll be implementing changes to take advantage of Grand Central Dispatch. I'm trying real hard not to think about how nice a 27" display and OmniFocus running on 4 cores would be :-)
I would definitely recommend taking a copy of your database to your local Apple store and giving it a spin before getting out the credit card if OF performance is the primary reason for upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I want Omni to spend the time to do things right, rather than rushing out releases to fix problems introduced by the previous release rushed out to fix problems introduced by...well, you get the picture. I'm definitely in favor of their spending some time harvesting the low-hanging fruit in the performance arena
Again, I think we are on the same page. While I am sure there is a ton of new features to implement, I think performance improvement has to be at the core. Taking 5 seconds or so to switch views is an issue. I'll admit that I am coveting the new iMac mostly because of the screen, but I currently run three screens on my iMac so that is less of an issue than the speed.

I know the guys at my local Apple Store pretty well. I'm sure they would let me load OF up and my database but I think we know the result. Let's hope 2.0 does support grand central but I still think that there is some performance issues that can be worked out prior. An application like OF should not require a quad-core box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
You might also consider trying this hidden preference (paste into Terminal and hit Return):

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty -bool yes
-Dennis
Dennis: I finally had a chance to apply this over the weekend. It did make a big difference. Thanks very much.