The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

whither the "super spiffy bucket icon"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm still disappointed with the way single actions are being handled. I don't want to put them in a project, they don't belong in a project, but right now, that's the only way they're 'available'.

Having to use a 'container' project to see project-less actions in context view makes me tear my hair out!

I have found that if you enter a project, and then edit the project field and delete what you typed there, the action will remain available - as long as you don't update OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLady View Post
I'm still disappointed with the way single actions are being handled. I don't want to put them in a project, they don't belong in a project, but right now, that's the only way they're 'available'.

Having to use a 'container' project to see project-less actions in context view makes me tear my hair out!
I don't have the same reaction, but I understand where you're coming from. What if you created a default singletons bucket/project and called it "None"? Drag it to the bottom of your project list and it will be out of sight most of the time, and when you see your singleton actions in Context view, the project column will read "None."

Quote:
How do you want single actions handled?

Quote:
I though you could already see project-less actions in context view before this change.

This container is so that you can see them in project view, and you can set a preference to send them to this bucket/list automatically out of the inbox.

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-08-16 at 09:23 AM..

Quote:
I agree. On a related note, you could argue that all the singleton actions should be classed as next actions rather than available, as they are by definition next actions since they're the only action on that task. I've sent in a feature suggestion for this.

I prefer the orginal way they were handled: they were active and available without a project in Context view, but not in project view. This functionality was broken at least 3 weeks ago, maybe longer.

I don't object to having the single-action bucket function, as long as I don't have to use it. They're nicely implemented for people that do want to see everything in Project view, but I really, really hate it.

I can't even get single actions out of my Inbox now unless I give them a project!

If a task doens't have a project, I don't need it in project view, and I don't want to see it in project view.

And I'm afraid that I find using these "projectless tasks" buckets to create a workaround a stupid waste of time when projectless tasks worked perfectly before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
How do you want single actions handled?

I though you could already see project-less actions in context view before this change.

This container is so that you can see them in project view, and you can set a preference to send them to this bucket/list automatically out of the inbox.

Yup, liking this so far.

My only observation would be I think the icon should be on the same indent level as the inbox and projects folder, i.e. a top-level item rather than under projects, as single actions by their nature are not projects.

Quote:
I prefer the orginal way they were handled: they were active and available without a project in Context view, but not in project view. This functionality was broken at least 3 weeks ago, maybe longer.

I don't object to having the single-action bucket function, as long as I don't have to use it. They're nicely implemented for people that do want to see everything in Project view, but I really, really hate it.

I can't even get single actions out of my Inbox now unless I give them a project!

If a task doens't have a project, I don't need it in project view, and I don't want to see it in project view.

And I'm afraid that I find using these "projectless tasks" buckets to create a workaround a stupid waste of time when projectless tasks worked perfectly before.
I agree 95%; the only difference is that if I'm processing or planning, I have no way to move items between being a single Next Action and being part of a project in Project View.

This is not an essential part of my workflow -- I can use keystrokes to switch the view -- but a "Single Actions" or "Next Actions" icon similar to the Inbox would be convenient. If it can be turned off so GeekLady doesn't have to see it, so much the better.

I grumble more about this here.

I realize everyone has a different work flow, but like several in this thread I'm very disappointed with the direction Omnifocus is going with single actions. I've been excited about prospective changes for a while, and as impossible as I thought it would be Omnifocus handles single actions worse than before (I agree 100% with this comment from a separate thread).

Here's what I'd like and what I thought the changes would bring. A separate sidebar icon for single actions. So it would go Inbox, Single, Projects. The single icon would simply collect all actions that are not part of a project. This seems so simple and logical to me. Allow members who don't believe in single actions to uncheck a box and get rid of it. Everyone's happy.

Making single actions into a new kind of project, when it is NOT a project, defies logic. This isn't a whole lot different than what many members did before (create a single project and make it parallel).

Furthermore, before I could enter an action with quick entry, not give it a project, give it only a context, do a clean up, and it was gone. Now I have to assign the single action to the special singles project to move it out of the inbox.

I fail to see how this is an improvement in any measure, and in many ways makes things worse. If this is truly the direction omnifocus is going, please reconsider.

Quote:

I have to agree. Project view is, by definition, for viewing projects. Why blur that distinction? Why add an additional layer of complexity to something that worked so elegantly in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddbert View Post
Project view is, by definition, for viewing projects
Well, not quite. By that logic the Inbox should not show up in "projects view" either. There would soon be complaints.

The terms "Projects view" and "Contexts view" are convenient but misleading. What we really have (and need) is a planning perspective (inbox, singletons, projects), and an execution perspective (contexts plus a "context unassigned" list).

I would not want to lose sight either of the inbox or of any singletons lists from the planning perspective simply because it had been labeled "Projects view" in the menu.

The planning perspective needs to allow us an overview of *everything* that is on our radar, clustered into projects or not.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2007-08-16 at 09:02 PM..