The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF-iPhone needs just one simple thing added: contact book integration button Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I notice that you can via contexts assign a contact but only the address is used and you cannot link through to the :(contact and dial the number. Am I missing something.

You can stick a phone number in the notes field of an action, and it will become a tappable link. However, there's no way right now to add a phone number to a context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
You can stick a phone number in the notes field of an action, and it will become a tappable link. However, there's no way right now to add a phone number to a context.
Although I've already logged a request on this via e-mail, and will send this post again just in case I'm mistaken, I'd like to ask anyone else who agrees to also send their own e-mail request:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add the ability to directly link iPhone tasks to the iPhone Contacts database!!! Given the functionality of Fliq from Mark/Space (which is, btw, a very cool, and free, app), it's clear that iPhone apps can directly access Contacts.

I know there are lots of other things on the wishlist for the iPhone app, but I'd really love to see this one happen ASAP...

Just my $0.02...

J

Yes I agree totally. It would be perfect if I could assign contacts to context to easily dial up a contact on my @phone list. Now I have to close omnifocus, open contacts, memorize the number, close contacts, open omnifocus, open the action and hopefully remember the number and type it in the notes field.

I would very much like this to be added. Other than that I am VERY HAPPY with Omnifocus :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Can someone explain the numbers formats that OF for iPhone recognises, and therefore parses into a tappable link? Sometimes I guess it correctly, but can't never remember it when I need it.

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_Kober View Post
Yes I agree totally. It would be perfect if I could assign contacts to context to easily dial up a contact on my @phone list. Now I have to close omnifocus, open contacts, memorize the number, close contacts, open omnifocus, open the action and hopefully remember the number and type it in the notes field.

I would very much like this to be added. Other than that I am VERY HAPPY with Omnifocus :-)
While I would also very much like to see this feature added to OF, there is a workaround that I've been using for some time even from my pre-iPhone days with other applications (ie, on the Blackberry).

Basically, if you enter the phone number into the task notes when you create the task in OmniFocus, then that number will become a tappable link (as described above), and you can then call directly from within OF without having to flip over to the contacts app. You could probably even find or cook up an Applescript that would do this for you on the desktop automatically, although punching in the number isn't normally too unwieldy.

Likewise, if you're clipping e-mails into OmniFocus and the e-mail includes a number, you'll have it automatically, since the body of the e-mail message lands in the OF notes.

Obviously this is less useful if you're only using OF on the iPhone, or you're entering most of your tasks on the iPhone, but since I do most of my serious task management from the desktop, I find it easy enough to drop the phone number in during my daily/weekly review, even if I entered the original task into my Inbox while on the go.

Is there any chance that you could add just a simple button to task that would let me choose a person from my contact list to attach to a new task?

I have take a photo...add an audio recording....but if I could just choose one of my contacts...

then ZOWIE...I would have an actual project or delegated task added in with a simple integration.

any chances here?

Nice idea...

Why can't I attach a contact to a task in OmniFocus for iPhone?

Because no one wrote, debugged, documented, and shipped the code to do so.

Email omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com to make a feature request. Don't hold your breath while you wait, though!