The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

clippings & Notational Velocity - contents don't import into OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Having just discovered Notational Velocity, I'm interested in how keeping text notes can interface with OF. I see from other users that NV is good for getting things out of our heads and keeping info we might need later.

To turn a text entry into an OF item, I highlight the entry and press the shortcut for clippings. That doesn't seem to work. Do it a second time, and it works but only the title of the note comes over and not the note content.

Anyone have any idea how to make the whole note come into OF (like happens with a message in Mail, for instance)?
I realize I could highlight the text note and pull it in that way but that isn't very efficient (requires clicking, highlighting...).

Maybe there are other note taking software options.

Again, any help/insight would be appreciated !

Notational Velocity (well, the version I tried, at least) has some Applescript support, but that support doesn't appear to include getting the currently selected text. Without the ability to do that, a clipping plugin for NV is going to be difficult to do in a straightforward manner.

I did come across a posting here: http://www.macdrifter.com/tag/applescript/

that described a method for turning NV notes into OF actions, though personally I think editing the note to be easily identified as an OF action in the making is more work than simply selecting the text to be copied! Aren't you just talking one click plus cmd-A before the clipping shortcut to grab the text of the note?

If you are taking a note that is going to go into OmniFocus, why not just use the Quick Entry shortcut to bring up the Quick Entry box and dump it into OmniFocus in the first place? You don't have to assign a project, context, due date, etc., just capture that thought and process it later. I use OmniFocus as my ubiquitous capture tool, even for things that won't be actions. You can easily drag an action from OmniFocus into NV's search field, click in the text area and start typing if you want to go that direction.