The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF & iCal : a perfect world Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In a perfect world this is how I'd love to see OF & iCal work together.

I have an OF context associated with a iCal calendar, when an event is added to iCal it would appear in OF, and vice versa.

It would make keeping track of upcoming birthdays much easier as they would appear in OF automatically as well as meeting invitations, etc.

I know LifeBalance has this capability.

just my 2¢

Last edited by focusedphil; 2011-02-25 at 05:20 AM..

This would be a great idea - it would cut down so much on duplication between ical and OF

There's a forum for iCal syncing to OmniFocus here:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6648

It worked one time for me. I tried it out the first time but I disconnected it about a year because I wanted to keep my tasks and calendar separate.

Earlier this month, I tried it again and it just wouldn't seem to sync....

From what I've heard, iCal syncing seems to be a moving target. it works for some but not for others.

The methods suggested in the forums just didn't seem to work this time.... *sigh*.....

I know not all OmniFocus users subscribe to the full GTD system, so this comment might not be helpful in your case.

Anyhow, as I understand it, the separation between calendar and lists is intentional in GTD. Not everything in your calendar is actually a project or a next action – some things are simply just reminders of where you need to be at a specific time, but not anything that requires any action.

At least in my case, the calendar/OmniFocus integration is more than sufficiently well handled by weekly and monthly reviews. Do you do weekly reviews, and do you include iCal in those reviews?

The problem is not being able to see your actions and appointments at the same time. If you have quite a few of each, and there are lots of things due, then you need to see both to know how to renegotiate some of your commitments.

On weeks when I have few appointments then the dual system is fine, but when things are more hectic, especially meetings that are called without a lot of notice, then it's immensely useful to be able to correlate actions due with time commitments.

It's also a question of being realistic and not overcommitting.

Some systems bring the appointments into the task manager, others put the tasks into the calendar. The advantage of the second system is that if this gets synchronised, the whole lot is available outside the mac environment which is where a lot of us have to work. However, either would work for me. What doesn't work is having to be constantly looking in two places, at two systems. It causes stress, particularly if you are not the only person inputting appointments into your calendar.

If you have an assistant or colleague who is able to put engagements into your calendar, you have to be constantly aware that the calendar you saw at the beginning of the week/day, may not be the same as it is now. Having both things show up in the same place allows greater immediate flexibility.