The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Am I not getting it? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been using pen and paper for my project management so far, but want to switch to a software based system, because for the number of projects I have nowadays paper and pen are too tedious. I first tried TaskPaper: I liked the interface, but I would like some more capabilities like a project list view, iCal integration and capture without application switching. The I was happy to discover that OmniFocus has come out as a beta, entered 200+ actions and projects into my inbox, and have been struggling to get things going from there. It seems that the capabilities are there, but the interface seems so clumsy that it's painful. But, I'm still hoping that's because I have used the software only for a few days. Hence, I decided to post my gripes here and see what I'm missing -- there seem to be happy users of OmniFocus out there. So here it goes:

1) The Inbox cannot contain projects: In my experience, most of what goes into my inbox turn out to be projects. But, OmniFocus by default captures everything as a new action and, when something turns out to be a project, it disappears from your inbox to the sidebar. I would want it to stay right there in the inbox and ask me to add actions to it -- that's my normal workflow.

2) Making actions to projects requires mouse fiddling: In the Getting Started video, it says that there is a keyboard based way to make a project, but actually it seems like some indented action and is then moved by mouse to the sidebar later in the video.

3) The "someday/maybe" is missing as somebody else already pointed out.

4) The keyboard shortcuts are not intuitive. I immediately got Taskpaper's ":" makes a project, "-" an action, "@" a context. Compared to that CMD-], CMD-CTRL-left arrow, and so on in OmniFocus are cumbersome.

5) That there are folders of actions and projects is confusing to me. At least, these should be less prominent than the basic action/project distinction.

Those five are my main gripes so far. I haven't really gotten past the inbox yet, as you will have noticed, and will keep prodding on for a while. There are some more little gripes: too much bold facing, no keyboard based entry for project folders, "Library" should be called "Projects", loosing text of new context or project when I forget to press CMD-return, backspacing in the inbox should skip empty fields, and an easy way to make a task delegated.

I do like "Quick Capture" a lot by the way. iCal integration I haven't tried, but it sounds also like a great feature. But, overall I feel I haven't gotten how to work OmniFocus yet, and may well go back to my Filofax soon.

-- Uli

This post will probably come off as "fan-boyism". It isn't intended as such, but rather as a description of how to do the things you're asking about in OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli View Post
1) The Inbox cannot contain projects: In my experience, most of what goes into my inbox turn out to be projects. But, OmniFocus by default captures everything as a new action and, when something turns out to be a project, it disappears from your inbox to the sidebar. I would want it to stay right there in the inbox and ask me to add actions to it -- that's my normal workflow.
Enter the project in the inbox. Hit 'return'. Enter an action for the project. Press Cmd-] to indent the action under the project. Continue to structure the project to your liking.

Quote:
2) Making actions to projects requires mouse fiddling: In the Getting Started video, it says that there is a keyboard based way to make a project, but actually it seems like some indented action and is then moved by mouse to the sidebar later in the video.
No, it doesn't. Arrow up to select the nascent project in the inbox. Press Cmd-[ to "outdent" the item from the Inbox into a full-fledged project.

Quote:
There are a variety of ways to deal with someday/maybe items. Putting projects On Hold is probably the most popular.

Quote:
4) The keyboard shortcuts are not intuitive. I immediately got Taskpaper's ":" makes a project, "-" an action, "@" a context. Compared to that CMD-], CMD-CTRL-left arrow, and so on in OmniFocus are cumbersome.
You can make a new project or context by simply typing the project or context name in the appropriate field of an action. Pressing Cmd-return creates the project or context. The shortcuts in OF are based on those in OmniOutliner and are intended for a full-fledged outliner. Taskpaper is much lighter weight than OF, so can get by with many fewer shortcuts. Other shortcuts in OF that aren't published yet, but are more intuitive include:
  • u—up
  • d—down
  • l—left
  • r—right
  • G—group (select several actions first)
  • U—ungroup (select a "parent" action first)

Quote:
5) That there are folders of actions and projects is confusing to me. At least, these should be less prominent than the basic action/project distinction.
There are not folders of actions. Folders can only contain projects and lists of single actions. The distinction between folders, projects, action groups and actions is an intensely debated topic on the forums. I suspect the distinction is unlikely to change at this stage. Note that you can choose not to use folders at all, and that is very likely the right choice when starting out with the program.

Quote:
I haven't really gotten past the inbox yet, as you will have noticed, and will keep prodding on for a while.
If you haven't gotten past the inbox, you haven't gotten to the true power of the system. To me, OF is great because it lets me focus on the projects that are important and the actions that are doable in my current context. The inbox is for capturing thoughts during the day. The system doesn't really hum unless the inbox is emptied in a daily review.

Quote:
too much bold facing
Did you know you can change the styles of any type of action by selecting one and using the Format menu?

Quote:
no keyboard based entry for project folders
Shift-Cmd-Opt-N (Yeah, that's ugly written out. I think "smash all the modifier keys with my left hand and press N.")

Quote:
"Library" should be called "Projects"
Another intensely debated point. Not everything under Library is a Project though; see Lists of Single Actions. I once suggested that the Library should be called Stuff.

Quote:
loosing text of new context or project when I forget to press CMD-return
I think that's a bug. Be sure to report it using Help --> Send Feedback.

Quote:
backspacing in the inbox should skip empty fields
I don't get this one.

Quote:
an easy way to make a task delegated.
That's a common feature request on the forums. Be sure to report it using Send Feedback to add another vote to the feature request in Omni's database.

Quote:
But, overall I feel I haven't gotten how to work OmniFocus yet, and may well go back to my Filofax soon.
Sticking with a paper-based system is no sin. Ultimately, use what works for you. Spending the purchase price of OF on a good pen might be more rewarding for some people! Good luck with whatever system you choose to use.

Curt

Quote:
That decision was made based on the Getting Things Done workflow concepts. The inbox is designed as a temporary (extremely short-term) capture repository, and not designed for managing items.

Quote:
Using the CMD-[ shortcut to move an item all the way to the left should make an action a project

Quote:
You are correct. A dedicated "someday" feature is missing. I think that with a combination of projects and folders though, people can easily categorize these types of actions.

Quote:
This probably shows some history of where the product came from. Many people here used to use OmniOutliner (some with the add-on AppleScript Kinkless) as a to-do list manager. Those keyboard shortcuts come from that legacy. And in OmniOutliner, as a basic outlining program, the commands seem much more intuitively derived. Often times that history can blur your vision moving forward. It would be nice for a future version to allow customization of the keyboard shortcuts.

Quote:
You aren't forced to use folders if you don't want to. I find them a handy way to further categorize and organize my projects.

Quote:
"Library" should be called "Projects"
There was a lot of discussion regarding this during the alpha stage (it was originally called projects, if I remember correctly). This is because the Library also contains single actions and folders.

You may also wnat to to give "Things" a try.
http://culturedcode.com/things/

Last edited by joelande; 2007-11-22 at 06:29 AM..

Hi Curt,

awesome response. Very helpful for me and definitely not fan-boyish. I'll try again to get through with processing my inbox later tonight. Right now, I'm still running off my lists on paper, but capturing things to OmniFocus, where they are in inbox limbo -- I have to do a thorough review soon. I'll write more later and also file those bug reports.

Uli