The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Asking about support for alternate platforms is quite legitimate (although the forums are not a great place to get an answer as this isn't an official support mechanism).

We don't currently have any plans for an Android version of OmniFocus. We do not have expertise in the Android platform, nor do we have any great internal need for or interest in it, or even many requests for it, and it has yet to prove itself either technically or in the market, so as you can see it has a fairly high burden before we would consider developing for it.

Anyone interested in getting OmniFocus on Android (or any other platform) should register their interest with us. Since our forums are primarily for the community rather than an official support conduit, this may be a good place to gauge community interest, but it's not a good place to make a request. I suggest that you email our support team ("Send Feedback" from the Help menu if you have OmniFocus, otherwise see the OmniFocus web pages for the support email address) to register your request.

I wonder if a more advantageous route would be to develop a web interface for OmniFocus data and make it Google Gears compatible. It seems like this has the potential to offer support for Android devices while at the same time bringing support to other platform combinations as well.

That being said, I don't necessarily see Omni working on something like this in the short term, but it could potentially be something worked on by someone in the community.

Has there been any new developments in the Toodledo sync?

The iPhone 2.1 update made some great improvements. I may look at Android once they actually have phones out, but I think the iPhone is #1 now and it will just keep getting better.

I still say that a web interface is something that needs to be developed more and perfected. There are two different web interfaces for Omnifocus, one using Toodledo and the other using your Mac as a web server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconjar View Post
Has there been any new developments in the Toodledo sync?

I still say that a web interface is something that needs to be developed more and perfected. There are two different web interfaces for Omnifocus, one using Toodledo and the other using your Mac as a web server.
I've mothballed the Toodledo sync (unless someone else wants to carry the torch, but its rare for someone to step up in these situations). Both web routes you mention were geared to the iPhone. I think a full blown web app ala the MobileMe apps, or 280slides would be awsome.

Where I think a web app for OF would be very cool is for PC users. It would be cool to see such a web app built in conjunction with multiuser/delegation support.

-P

I think Apple is doing a beautiful job with the iPhone interface, but it is not an open platform and far more people have non-Apple phones. As long as there is no 3G service in my state, I'll be sticking to my stupid candybar phone and my iPod Touch. Has the reasoning changed for a small shop like Omni to stick with a narrow platform sector with the teen-age of the pocket computer? I don't expect to be let in on internal company discussions here, and people reading these posts are pleased with their Apples, but where's the future? If I can buy a smart phone from my local mobile company next year running Android, will I stop using OF?

The reason is fairly simple, I expect - OmniGroup are OS X developers only and the SDK and the OS for the iPhone are based on OS X technologies and design philosophies. Android is not and would therefore require OmniGroup to learn a new design philosophy and language. In other words, it is probably a great deal more work for them to (learn how to) build an Android app than it is for them to use several years of experience with NeXT, OS X, XCode, Interface Builder, etc. to build an iPhone app.

I forgot I posted this in here. Now that I have an iPhone, I came to this forum disappointed in 'OmniFocus for iPhone.' You have to have some MobileMe or WebDAV to sync? Let me rephrase this. You would think you could hook your iPhone to your Mac, click on a 'Sync' button, and the OmniFocus on the Macintosh would load up the OmniFocus on the iPhone, right? Well, not yet, anyway. The current inability to set up syncing with a simple local connection should have been disclaimed explicitly, not left as a read-between-the-lines,-we-got-WebDAV-and-MobileMe-sync-support-but-didn't-mention-anything-about-a-simple-USB-cable thing.

Back on topic, I still think that those users of OF-on-Mac who do not own iPhones would like to have OF on their cell phone in some way, shape or form. But, you guys have done a good job touching on the development hurdles and resource commitment and such. Echoing nateswart, Google Gears may be a good horse to ride if/when it comes to ride a horse down that trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconjar View Post
@BonafideBM: The 2.0 unlock kit for the iPhone is probably available by now. I know the 2.0 software was jailbroken before the new iPhone software was launched. I believe that it allows you to purchase iPhone applications from the App Store (like OF), but you don't need an AT&T contract. It's something to look into.[/URL]
Yeah, man. :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdToday View Post
Why would someone on this forum even ask a question about android here unless they were a troll, trying to prop up an initiative that is already doomed to fail?
Their Oughtta Be A Law: Read Before Replying

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonafideBM View Post
Now that I have an iPhone, I came to this forum disappointed in 'OmniFocus for iPhone.' You have to have some MobileMe or WebDAV to sync? Let me rephrase this. You would think you could hook your iPhone to your Mac, click on a 'Sync' button, and the OmniFocus on the Macintosh would load up the OmniFocus on the iPhone, right? Well, not yet, anyway. The current inability to set up syncing with a simple local connection should have been disclaimed explicitly, not left as a read-between-the-lines,-we-got-WebDAV-and-MobileMe-sync-support-but-didn't-mention-anything-about-a-simple-USB-cable thing.

From the iPhone page in iTunes App Store:
"OmniFocus can synchronize with OmniFocus 1.1 for Mac (currently in public beta) via MobileMe or a WebDAV-enabled web server."

From the OmniFocus of iPhone page on Omni Group's web site:
"It's easy to sync your OmniFocus data between multiple Mac computers and your iPhone using your iDisk if you're a MobileMe subscriber or a by using a generic WebDAV server."

The OmniFocus FAQ on the Omni Group web site answers all of your questions and more. For example:
"Why don't you have sync over the USB cable, or timed alerts, or color-coded badges on the app icon, or rich text, or [other obviously useful but absent feature]?

These are all limitations of the iPhone platform, not design choices. The platform is still very young, and we're already thrilled with what we can do, but if Apple wants to open up these features to us, we will be more than happy to take advantage of them."

Third-party apps don't have access to sync over USB. That's pretty widely-known. I'm sorry if you didn't stumble upon any of this information ahead of time, but with all due respect, you can hardly blame anyone but yourself. And if there was any doubt in your mind, why not ask on this forum before buying or send an email to the Omni Group?

Having said that, local network (Bonjour) syncing with the iPhone is coming in the very near future (maybe even next week?). That'll be just as easy as a USB sync but without the cables. So no need to be disappointed!

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-10-03 at 11:35 PM..

That FAQ link and the OmniFocus news update sticky do a good job, both explaining why the situation is as it is, as well as hearing somebody echoing what I was trying to say. At any rate, once Apple "allows" the new version of OF for iPhone to go up, its going to rock! I prefer to go out on a more positive tone for the maker of Graffle and Outliner, two most excellent products.

I just want to register my interest in either an OF client for Android, a way to sync OF with a service like RTM or ToodleDo, or some kind of mobile-friendly web interface that I can use on a phone.

Having just got my shiny new Android HTC Hero, I am sorely lacking any kind of tasks sync. My only option at the moment is to stop using OmniFocus and put everything on Remember The Milk, which I am obviously loathe to do.

I suppose sync with RTM or ToodleDo would be the most viable - any hint of this being considered by the powers that be?

In anticipation.... :)