The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The challenge of syncing OmniOutliner—solved! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcroft View Post
Here's a suggestion for a strategy that may satisfy a large number of costumers for the short term and give OG more time (in terms of customer patience) to tackle the bigger problems that's been hindering them from introducing any automatic syncing (via Dropbox, iCloud, you name it...) at all - for such a painfully long time.

OG could introduce a new "slim" file format for OO with a limited feature set that's rather easy to sync. ...

So what if this new file format would only feature the most commonly used text attributes such as font-family, color, size, bold, italics, underline and strikethrough? Plus: colors for backgrounds, multiple columns, checkboxes and folding-states, of course. ...

I think this could make a *huge* number of people very happy. Whaddayasay?
Agreed. This situation — where the functionality (and market viability) of a product is held hostage to supporting legacy features — is very similar to what is happening with Microsoft, where they are trying to conform tablet functionality to support the legacy features in Microsoft Office for PC's. In this case, OG is not providing (so far) a critical performance feature found in best-in-class mobile iOS apps — simple cross device syncing — to support a legacy feature (embedding attachments into outlines). I didn't even know that Omni Outliner could embed attachments, and even after I learned that, I still don't use it. As with some Office features, I'm sure it's a nice feature, but I don't think it's so nice that it justifies omitting a feature (cross device syncing) that many long-time, loyal OG customers expect and depend on for their work flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Which is more useful to you: an application which has an easy to use sync that gets your documents to all your devices with a minimum of fuss, but offers only weak beer when it comes to actually doing anything with the contents; or an application where moving files around is somewhat inconvenient, but which offers some utility in return?
I guess I have discovered the answer to that question. Earlier this week, I threw in the towel and switched to the vastly inferior CarbonFin Outliner, which has an iPhone version and supports syncing between the iPhone and iPad versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbm View Post
I guess I have discovered the answer to that question. Earlier this week, I threw in the towel and switched to the vastly inferior CarbonFin Outliner, which has an iPhone version and supports syncing between the iPhone and iPad versions.
Hmm...that's a related question, but not identical, I think. You've switched to an outliner app that has an iPhone version as well as an iPad version. That's a pretty big deal if you fall into the set of people who want to access their outlines on an iPhone. In any case, I'm glad you found something that works for you! My goal here is to help people find solutions, preferably with the software they've already bought, but sometimes that isn't in the cards.

Embedding images: Just happened to be scanning the forums for a few hints and ran across this thread and the issue of embedding images caught my eye.
I just wanted to throw my two cents in and mention that the ability to embed images and files is the ONLY reason I use Omni outliner.

I admit that I have not read through these threads with any depth, but it seems there is an issue with syncing between devices and having embedded images. I haven't had a problem using my iPad and having the images show up. I do desire to be able to see the outlines on iPhone. Without the images though, that would be pointless for me. At this time, I print out the entire file as a PDF and view it on my phone. I don't do any work that way though. Obviously :-)

To take this a step further, I would wish, and I do actually, that Omni outliner could export into keynote and include the attached images.

Have a great day, Scott

Do you need to carry the images on your phone? Could they be on the omnisyncserver and loaded as needed via an embedded link? I don't know if that's possible but it could be a compromise between syncing some and syncing all of the database.

So what *is* the current status of OO-sync between iPad and Mac? I have OO3 on my Mac, and am now considering buying OO for iPad, but I'm not really sure I understand what exactly about syncing OO-docs between the iPad and the Mac works or does not work. Is there some place on the forums or on the OG-site that describes this in detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoledb View Post
So what *is* the current status of OO-sync between iPad and Mac? I have OO3 on my Mac, and am now considering buying OO for iPad, but I'm not really sure I understand what exactly about syncing OO-docs between the iPad and the Mac works or does not work. Is there some place on the forums or on the OG-site that describes this in detail?
I think this was detailed in the December blog post about "OmniPresence." It's not incredibly detailed at this point.

Right now, there is no automatic sync for customers to use. You have to manually send your files back and forth, though you can store them on the Omni Sync Server.

This seems to be an oft-discussed topic here but will OO4 make the changes necessary to make syncing files a reality? As numerous users have already stated here, it is an essential feature and it keeps me from making OO my default note app on the iPad.

Thanks
Anjan

OO4 and OO3 will both work with our syncing solution, OmniPresence. We are preparing to start private testing with it and hope to have it available soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjanbagchee View Post
This seems to be an oft-discussed topic here but will OO4 make the changes necessary to make syncing files a reality? As numerous users have already stated here, it is an essential feature and it keeps me from making OO my default note app on the iPad.

Thanks
Anjan
Ditto. I made the sad decision to transfer 90% of my omnioutlines on my mac back to Circus Ponies Notebooks today, after having invested in the OO iPad app only last week. I tried really hard to make the omni sync server work for me, but it's just way too much hassle compared to the seamless dropbox sync of CPN, although I otherwise prefer the interface of OO to CPN.