The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to handle with more then "2 contexts"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
The flexibility of tags for such purposes is what makes me keep coming back to Things.
And if OF had tags and could negatively filter them out, people would actually come from Things to OF for that feature.

Back to my Project View to crunch some more… :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Omni offers a 30-day money back guarantee.

For what it's worth, if you have to discuss an idea with multiple people, then that's multiple actions.
How do you know that?

I'd like to see this product grow. Let the debate of ideas continue.

- Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifoner View Post
How do you know that?
Because it's either an @agenda for a meeting, or it's an @agenda for a person. If it's one thing to discuss with two different people on two different @agenda contexts, then it is not one task, but two.

Have you read Getting Things Done? There's a whole chapter devoted to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
For what it's worth, if you have to discuss an idea with multiple people, then that's multiple actions.
I disagree Curt, I have contexts for people, but it's a fudge, let me give you an example. I need to discuss with @tony (holidays), @lisa (maternity leave), Ciaran (payrise). I also need to discuss various projects with all three at the same time. So, if we are all in transit together, I have to sort out which things I can discuss and which things I can't. Likewise, I have contexts for @desktop, @laptop, @iPad, @iPhone, to which an action, say reviewing a presentation, could be dealt with either on my laptop or iPad. I want multiple contexts to solve this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Tags would be so useful when things got out of control; they would allow ad hoc "playlists" of tasks without changing the fundamental context of the action.
Thank you, Steven! One of our suppliers (of studio hire) suffered a burst pipe earlier this year. I wanted to be able to go through all my projects that would be affected, adding a tag *flood. After that, I could have added another tag to each of those already tagged actions, such as *abandon, *relocate, *reschedule, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory View Post
Have you read Getting Things Done? There's a whole chapter devoted to this.
Yes Emory, I have, and I so don't want to stop any fundi-GTD'ers doing it by the book. However, adding these features is not taking anything away from them, just giving us neo-GTD'ers options we want. I can't help wondering if the arguments against multiple contexts, tags, etc. is that they would be so seductive that the fundi crowd are worried they'd be tempted to the Dark Side! :rolleyes:

There's one thing I'm sure about. If tags, contacts, etc. (all first requested in 2007) aren't included in OF v.2 then emailing the Support Ninjas to vote on feature requests is a complete waste of time... :eek:

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-14 at 02:51 AM..

I don't have a problem with folks who want multiple contexts. I understand that there are corner cases where they might be very useful, though I tend to think metadata properties that could be used for tagging would be more useful. This has been discussed ad nauseum on the main OF forum.

My original post in this thread was just in reaction to our friendly multinational CEO and his exclamation point business.

Curt

I was able to sort of find a away to deal with all these problems using OmniFocus. To deal with multiple locations or many people I found a few solutions like:

- Create a group in my contact list, where I can place different locations or assisgn thensame location for many different people.

- Create sub contexts, where I can specify a place, or group two things like iPad and Desktop.

For tags I usually use the notes feature, it works pretty well since you can search notes. I have some many tags on my other GTD apps that I don't browse them to seek for specific tasks, I use search. So I didn't notice much difference.

For those that may not have seen what seems to be Omni's final word on the unimportance of user-assigned meta in future Omnifocus development, here it is.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...t=5787&page=28

I've never doubted their good intentions and I'm grateful for all their amazing products, but I regret not "voting" (emailing or ??) more actively for tags over the years. :)

--------
We try not to close threads, but I think this one has lost its way.

Thanks for all the input on multiple contexts. I think we have a good sense of why some people want this feature. To be clear, multiple contexts has never been planned as a feature for OmniFocus.

Generic metadata support has been planned, but that has never been as popular a request as the other features we've introduced in the meantime such as syncing, improved performance, and perspectives.

In fact, the thing we hear most often is that OmniFocus is too complex. Much of the last few years of development has been focused on reducing that complexity to make OmniFocus more approachable. For example, 1.8 gets rid of some of our assumptions about required workflow by making inbox items and projects and action groups all behave the same.

So, yes, it's quite true that metadata hasn't been at the top of our development priorities (though it's still something we'd love to implement sometime). We're really sorry if that's disappointing, and I'd welcome anyone who is upset by this to write to me personally at kc@omnigroup.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadInTheBox View Post

For tags I usually use the notes feature, it works pretty well since you can search notes. I have some many tags on my other GTD apps that I don't browse them to seek for specific tasks, I use search. So I didn't notice much difference.
One word of warning, the iPad version 1.0.2 only searches titles, not inside notes. Hopefully note search will be added soon. Be sure to use Contact Omni in the gear menu if this is important to you.

Curt

Thanks for the reminder, @curt.clifton - I use "tags" in notes also.

Yes thanks for letting me know it doesn't search in notes. Feedback sent.