The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gmail links don't work on Iphone app Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
quick question. I use a script on my web browser (firefox & safari) that sends a link to OF, which I can then use to open that link on both my desktop version and iphone version of OF. This works with no problems, with the exception of gmail on the iphone.

that is, while the links work for regular websites, the links don't work if they are from gmail. I get a "bad request error 400" message. Any ideas on what may be happening here and how to work around it?

I just noticed this too.

I use a gmail address with the "+omnifocus" suffix as the destination and the desktop mail filter pulls them out of the gmail inbox without any trouble.

Unless that is I send them FROM my gmail address too.

I only worked this out yesterday, while trying to understand why some, but not all of my mails were getting processed even though the recipient was the same.

The sending address is recognised by OmniFocus as one of my email addresses.

If I forward the unprocessed messages back to myself with a different send address then
it all works fine.

Quite odd.

What's the script you are using? I was able to drag the URL when displaying a message in gmail on my Mac into the note field of an action. After syncing Mac, iPad and iPod touch, I was able to tap on the link in the note field on both iOS gadgets and get the message to show up (the first time I had to supply my gmail username/password and click the "remember me" box, then reopen the link).

psidnell,

My suspicion at first glance is that the fact that your source address is of the form "+omnifocus" is a bit of a red herring. I would rule out the possibility that the issue is actually that the program you are using to send the message is marking the message as read before Mail on the desktop gets a chance to process it. The mail rule that makes the processing happen won't run if Mail doesn't see it as a new, unread message. I just configured gmail to use my "+omnifocus" address as the default for sending, sent a message to my "+omnifocus" address, and the resulting action turned up in my Inbox just as I would expect. However, if I quit the Mail app on my Mac, send another message just like the previous one, and read that message on the iPad before launching the Mac Mail app again, it does not get processed into OmniFocus when I finally launch the Mac Mail app.

I think the most reliable approach is to have a separate account for OmniFocus input which you only configure on the desktop where OmniFocus is running. That way there's no possibility that any other mail client gets to the message first and fools Mail into not processing it.