The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Quick Entry and Spaces Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm on Leopard now and loving spaces. I have my ToDo apps assigned to a certain space.

This is a minor quibble, but when I am working away on something (in its space) and use quickentry, it boots me to the space OmniFocus is on. I'd rather it didn't---the point of quickentry, for me, is to dump things quickly and unobtrusively to my inbox to deal with later. I'm in the middle of something else and want the interruption to be as brief as possible.

Anyone else noticed this?

There was a small fix made in 94314 that will make the Quick Entry window move to the current space (on Friday), so hopefully if you grab a newer build it will work as expected.

Hmm. I have the most recent build. Quick Entry has, I thought, always popped up on the current space. It's after I press enter that I'm shunted to OmniFocus' space.

Ah... right. This is a Leopard bug that we've reported. The deal is that OmniFocus adds a child window for the spinning progress indicator to the main OmniFocus window in anticipation of needing it (since we can't add it while the app is stuck saving). Inexplicably, Leopard interprets this as the application needing attention and switches to that Space.

We've logged this bug with Apple, so hopefully they'll address it in 10.5.1. Until then, we'll continue to figure out if there is a way we can do this without annoying Spaces.

Looks like it wasn't addressed in 10.5.1. Ugh.. it's driving me mad but I'll deal with it for now.

Does anybody have any workarounds for this? Even ugly convoluted ones would be welcome.

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus LongOperationIndicatorDisabled -bool YES

in Terminal will disable the long operation indicator (the spinny wheel and message about what is going on) globally. this is an ugly workaround for now; I've tracked down private API that would let me fix this, but I was *really* hoping that they'd fix this for 10.5.1. We may have to take matters into our own hands... =(

Looks like you did!

Hooray for completely unobtrusive adding-to-inbox!

Fantastic! Thanks Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
I'm on Leopard now and loving spaces. I have my ToDo apps assigned to a certain space.

This is a minor quibble, but when I am working away on something (in its space) and use quickentry, it boots me to the space OmniFocus is on. I'd rather it didn't---the point of quickentry, for me, is to dump things quickly and unobtrusively to my inbox to deal with later. I'm in the middle of something else and want the interruption to be as brief as possible.

Anyone else noticed this?
I just posted a similar note at about the same time as you. I'm not using Spaces yet, but I don't like the fact that OF comes to the foreground at all when invoking Quick Entry. It forces me to spend the time, effort, and mental energy to "go back" to what I was doing. This means that the interface is working against, and not with, me.

I added a runtime workaround for the Spaces switching problem so the default setting shouldn't be necessary any more.

The issues with OF windows coming forward when QE is activated, or otherwise are a separate issue that is scheduled for fixing in 1.0.