The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Circles? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Have not found a reference to this one. Is there a way to make circles in OGS? I see places where folks have oversampled sine-waves, etc. Unfortunately I always end up with circles that look a little odd, even with oversampling. So, I am wondering if there is just a point-radius type of circle available.

Thanks,
Scott

There's no way to add a circle shape to the graph currently, but we do have a feature request open in the development database.

If you really need a circle, the best workaround is to use numbers or some other program to sample *a lot* of points. 36 (one every ten degrees) seems to get around the "bump" at the start/finish pretty well. I've attached an .xls file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OmniGraphSketcher Circle.xls.zip (3.4 KB, 646 views)

Okay, the new best method for plotting circles is to use the attached AppleScript.

This AppleScript and corresponding python script calculate a number of points in a circle given that circle's center and radius, and paste those points into OmniGraphSketcher using system events. The default number of points is 36, and can be changed by editing the variable "segments" in line 7 of circle.py. To connect the points plotted by this script, use the "Connect Points" button at the bottom of the Data inspector.

To add as a toolbar button in OmniGraphSketcher, place the entire Circle folder in the directory ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniGraphSketcher/ (where ~ is your user directory), then add the button using View > Customize Toolbar...

The the .scpt and .py files must be in the same directory for the script to work. Feedback is welcome; please email OmniGraphSketcher@omnigroup.com with your questions or concerns.

edit: outdated script removed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circle.png
Views:	767
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1789  

Last edited by dave_m; 2011-08-11 at 10:17 AM..

I've updated the circle-plotting script to work with locales using ',' as a decimal separator, while keeping support for the US and other locales using '.'. It has a new home:

http://people.omnigroup.com/dave/circle.html