The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPod Syncing over University Network Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

This is my first post; I could not find anything that specifically answered my question from my still basic understanding of syncing over a network. I have an iPod Touch which i live off of as my personal planner, co-ordinator, and agenda. I have OmniFocus 1.7.5 on my macbook pro and the iPhone app for my ipod. I have always synced over Bonjour on my home network, but I have just moved into residence at UC Davis. I am wondering if I can sync my ipod to my computer on this much larger public network.

TL;DR: I need a way to sync my iPod's omnifocus to my Macbook's without using the network. If that won't work I need a way to do it over my school's resnet.

Thanks!
Roger

NOTE: In my dorms I do not have wifi, so my iPod can't sync then and there. Anything that doesn't require a network would be even better (like by USB). Also, I do not have a MobileMe account.

You can set up your own WiFi net when you want to sync, with no other equipment than your MacBook. In System Preferences->Network, make sure you have the Show Airport status in menu bar box checked. Then, when you need your own network, just go to the little Airport menu (looks like 4 concentric arcs in black and gray), select Create Network... and pick a name for your Computer-to-Computer network. Launch OmniFocus on both devices, have your iPod join the new network, and sync. Go to the Airport menu again and rejoin your usual network. You can use the Locations feature on the Mac to make this switching of network connections somewhat easier.

Oh my god. You are a lifesaver. Thanks be to you, whpalmer4.