The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automatic date for line Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to automatically have the date recorded when an entry has been created or modified?

This is needed for Todo lists. I'd like to remember when I created the item and especially when I completed it. Its a pain to manually enter in a date. It doesn't get done. It would be great if there was a way to configure a column to represent the create or modify date for that entry.

Thanks

Have you considered using OmniFocus? It tracks that data automatically, and has (just a few) other features, too :-)

Alternatively, it would be possible to code up a pair of Applescripts which you could add to the OmniOutliner toolbar, one which prompts you for some text, creates the action and stamps the creation date/time in the notes field or a separate column, and another which completes the selected task and stamps the completion date/time in the corresponding place.

Yet another option: add the date yourself, with the keyboard shortcuts. cmd-| is the one I always use, which gets you a short date/time formatted something like

6/1/09 8:38:12 AM

at the insertion point. cmd-/ gets you just the date. They seem to work in a date column as well as a rich text field.

There's nothing in the file format that suggests that OmniOutliner keeps track in any way precisely when you added or modified a row.