The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature requests: smart lists and completed task Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a big fan of conditional rules and smart lists. Here are some ideas on how they could improve my very own planning:

We have by design a very flexible scheduling and a lot of teammate. The most efficient way for me to keep track of what is going on would be to have a “strike-through”-like decoration for completed task (alternatively, it is hidden). I would also like to know if one task is over schedule (i.e. in late). Finally, I would like to know if someone is doing nothing.

How I envision these and other rules: (I use CSS syntax when it makes sense, because it is what I know best):
  • [task] [advancement] [is] [100%] → [style: “text-decoration:strike-through”]
  • [task] [advancement] [is] [100%] → [style: “display:none”]
  • [task] [deadline] [is] [more than] [1] [month] → [style: “opacity:0.5”]
  • [task] [deadline] [is] [more than] [6] [month] → [style: “opacity:0.8”]
It could also be possible to create smart folders, like these (these examples are of particular value for me):
  • [resource] [is not] [assigned] (for tracking idle persons)
  • [resource] [is] [overburdened] (being assigned more than 100%, like with two tasks at the same time, both at 100%)
Voilà. Keep in mind that this is for me but I am sure it would be pretty helpful for others too. f you have some suggestions for smart lists, feel free to suggest here; the more the suggestion, the more it will look like an useful feature. Plus, it would make a wonderful 2.0 feature, IMHO.

Don't hesitate to point me to other such threads.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by David Latapie; 2007-11-26 at 09:55 AM..

I agree, these would be great additions

The first example you offer, a "strike-through" on completed tasks, is already possible. Open the Project: Styles inspector. On the left side, select "Completed Tasks" from the list. Click "Choose Font.." on the right. In the font pane that appears, look for the T with a strike-through on it. From that menu you can choose a single or double strike-through. This doesn't cover the "deadline way in the future" cases you mention, though.

If you're running OmniPlan 1.5, you can also hide tasks temporarily by applying filtering rules. Choose "Filter Tasks" from the View menu. Here you can create rules for filtering (sort of like Mail's filtering rules interface). You can choose to show only tasks whose end date is within the next two weeks or are assigned to Joe, or are incomplete, or all of the above.

We are looking to improve both of these features, so please make specific lists of what styling and filtering options you'd like added, and email them to us. (omniplan@omnigroup.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
The first example you offer, a "strike-through" on completed tasks, is already possible
I have tried this and it works great for individual tasks, but not for task groups. Is it possible to have a completed task group strike-out?

Thank you lizard for your answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
We are looking to improve both of these features, so please make specific lists of what styling and filtering options you'd like added, and email them to us. (omniplan@omnigroup.com)
My examples were mostly just this: examples. Granted, all of these examples are useful for me, but I gave them for illustration of what could be achieved—other people would have other expectations. Instead of adding a long list of features, I believe it is more productive and satisfactory in the long run to have a "conditional request" [b]platform[b], like the one I propose. A toolkit in a way. It would take longer to implement first-hand, but it would pay in the middle- to long-term.

Plus, such a framework could be re-used for other Omniapps. IMHO.

Have a nice day.

Can you add a style for 'Completed Milestones' now that they can be marked as complete, or have them use the 'Completed Task' style?