The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni Group can still make money with Omniweb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

While using Opera, something popped up in my mind and I must be very late for this :)

As a person who always thought paying for a good browser is valid thing, I was kinda frustrated when Opera went free as I was registered user.

Opera for Desktop makes money directly with

1) Search deal with Google and Yahoo (sure about Google). Each time you search with built in Google search, Opera gets money. No privacy threatened, nothing. Just this (searched for test)
http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

See the Opera tag there, that is the only change. You must be the very only browser who provides Google search without getting money from them. Even Safari puts Safari to search and doesn't even allow changing.

2) Personal support, person to person, yearly contract. Especialy companies love it and of course users want to show support buys it. Your mechanism is ages ahead of Opera since you have license key built in and you can send that encyripted key in mail already when users use Send Feedback. Just make license manager understand support scheme. There could be grayed out ''send support request'' in Help menu but it may really bug users (see quicktime pro feedback).

For full details and how to politely offer such thing without bugging user, check here (opens when I click support from their help menu)

http://www.opera.com/support/

What it would mean for people purchased Omniweb? A good bonus as they get it free. Isn't it half of the reason for people to buy a professionaly coded browser anyway?

The indirect money comes from one thing on Opera as Mozilla's Asa mentioned. Millions of users and their feedback. You can use that feedback for enhancing Omni applications and frameworks as you don't run your own engine like Opera. I can also see your other plan for Omniweb (not evil, good) to integrate it with other Omni apps and it is indeed a nice (if not late) idea.

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2009-03-09 at 09:58 AM..