The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Show one project at a time?... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to show only one project? (I don't use contexts at all)

I have Mon-Fri folders and say 5 projects in each day. I'd like to have just one displayed..currently what I am working on..and hide everything else..so the other tasks of the day are not staring at me.

The work-around I do now is I have nothing flagged and then flag the current project, then set to show 'flagged" in the view bar. Several steps..but was wondering if there is a quicker or easier way.

Thanks

Frank

Select a project from the sidebar by clicking on it, and that's all that you should see in the main panel. If you then right-click on the name in the sidebar, you'll get a pop-up menu from which you can select Focus whereupon OmniFocus won't even show you the long list of projects in the sidebar until you undo the Focus operation (right-click in sidebar and choose Show All Projects). There are also toolbar buttons you can add via View->Customize Toolbar and menu equivalents.

The focus works for folders and topics, but I want the items to be the only one shown. The things with the check box.

So I have a folder that says WEEK, a topic that says MONDAY and under that are 5 items with check boxes. I want to click just one of the items with a check box and display only that, nothing else.

Hope that makes sense.

If you want only a single action to be displayed, I would flag that action and then set your project view to only show flagged items by selecting
View -> Flag Filter -> Flagged
from the menu bar. That help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcma View Post
The focus works for folders and topics, but I want the items to be the only one shown. The things with the check box.

So I have a folder that says WEEK, a topic that says MONDAY and under that are 5 items with check boxes. I want to click just one of the items with a check box and display only that, nothing else.

Hope that makes sense.
Okay, that makes sense, but it isn't what you asked for the first time!

It sounds like you have something like this:

Focus on the current week (or today's project, or whatever), go to context mode, show ungrouped and sort by project and you'll get this:

If I'd focused on Monday, the list would only include Monday's actions, and so on.

Using OmniFocus without using the context features seems a little like buying the latest complete version of Photoshop to resize a handful of digital photographs -- sure, it works, but why pay for all the bells and whistles if you aren't going to use them?

Thanks for the screenshots..the question still remains unanswered:

I want to click just one of the items with a check box and display only that, nothing else.

How?

Frank

I believe you are going to need two steps to accomplish this as you can only focus on folders or projects. You can click on Flag and change the view to flagged as you are doing now. Or you can create a 'Focus' context (one-time only), then set the task's context to 'Focus' and then select 'Show in Context mode'. Another option would be to drag the task to the top of list of tasks in the project, and select 'Next Action' from the View Bar.