The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I just can't figure out how to use OO for a simple paper Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ive tried to figure out the workflow but everything i've tried is so complicated.

I want to write a simple paper. No footnotes, special attributes, etc.

I want to outline it first. Major headings that become section titles. Then topic sentences that become lead sentences for each paragraph. Then supporting ideas that become the supporting sentences in the paragraph. Basic junior high composition.

OO does a dreat job creating the document in outline form. Now I need to get it a final document in .doc or .docx format. Whatever I try ends up with something in Word on my MBP or Pages on my iPad or MBP with either a bunch of hyphens in front of every line, or dots, or just all run together texts with no formatting. The amount of effort required to clean it all up and into a basic usable format is awful.

OO seems to make the whole process of writing more effort rather than less. I've read post after post about people who love OO and use it for all kinds of things, even book or manuscript development. I don't understand how they do it. I can't figure out how to use it to make me more productive in writing a simple two page paper.

OO creates beautiful outlines. But what don't I understand in getting from the outline to a finished document?

The iPad version does not yet offer any export format that moves easily to Word or Pages. OmniOutliner Pro 3 on the Mac offers a docx export format which is what you'd want to use in your situation. There are a lot of features we're still planning on adding to the iPad edition, more export formats being one of them.

You can download a fully functional trial of OmniOutliner Pro 3 to try out the docx export if you'd like. http://www.omnigroup.com/products/om...iner/download/

Please let me know if you have anymore questions. Thanks!

The docx export works really well for me ...

So happy to hear that Omni is thinking about this. In its current state it's an expensive app that is virtually useless because of its limited transport formats. I've found exactly 2 uses for a 'spreadsheet-like-outliner' with no useful export features and to be sure, the results for those have not failed to impress. It will be a real boon once we can expand our choices for export and of course dropbox support.

Can't wait for the format that best translates to a word processing document. Scrivener for the iPad is under development but OOiPad could fill a huge gap in the writer's toolkit simply by providing a good word processing export format (to dropbox!)

I have OmniOutliner 3 on my Mac but honestly I don't want to turn my computer on when I get home. Anything else I use for productivity works with dropbox and I can move documents anywhere, any time thanks to that and compatible, well thought-out export formats...except Omni documents. For those apps I need a computer and special purchased software costing into the hundreds of pounds (I'm including OmniGraffle for Visio export in that cost).

Thank you for hinting at this!