The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Display only projects with available actions? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I notice in OmniFocus that the Project Filter doesn't seem to let you select only projects that have actions available. I'm trying to have at least two different perspectives - one that lists all remaining actions, and one that lists only available ones. For the available-actions perspective, the projects with no actions are just clutter; they make it difficult to see everything. Is there a way to have a perspective that hides them and shows only the projects with available actions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amod View Post
Hi all,

I notice in OmniFocus that the Project Filter doesn't seem to let you select only projects that have actions available. I'm trying to have at least two different perspectives - one that lists all remaining actions, and one that lists only available ones. For the available-actions perspective, the projects with no actions are just clutter; they make it difficult to see everything. Is there a way to have a perspective that hides them and shows only the projects with available actions?
Not possible without using a script. I think it is possible using a script that someone has posted previous, but I'm not gonna go searching. I'd dearly like this too to be built into the product. Empty projects can be in the sidebar but I don't need them cluttering up the main view.

Oh, you can of course get this in context view if you group by project, but you can't get the project list @ left in context view. Boo.

You can do this with Rob Trew's Where in OF script. Such a search might be:

Code:
projects where number of available tasks > 0
but you could also make it more specific (such as only projects with more than 3 available tasks but fewer than 7 completed tasks where the project was created in the last month and has the string "dissertation" in the name and the string "I should do this" in the note located in the "Someday/Maybe" folder, for a contrived example). As a result of the search, you get a new window which only has the matching projects shown in the sidebar and thus in the window itself.

A listing of the properties with which you can describe your desired projects is shown here:

I really like this script, and use it frequently. A number of particularly baroque features have been added at my suggestion, but I can't take the credit for all of them :-)

If you need help installing the script, see the FAQ.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2012-07-17 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Update link

Whoa! Thanks! I had no idea you could do that level of customization (and that people were already doing it). I will have to give this a try. (Though I agree it's a feature it should be added, and I don't think it's particularly baroque - it seems kind of obvious that if you're trying to get a list of available actions, you don't want to look at projects that contain no available actions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You can do this with Rob Trew's Where in OF script. Such a search might be:

Code:
projects where number of available tasks > 0
but you could also make it more specific (such as only projects with more than 3 available tasks but fewer than 7 completed tasks where the project was created in the last month and has the string "dissertation" in the name and the string "I should do this" in the note located in the "Someday/Maybe" folder, for a contrived example). As a result of the search, you get a new window which only has the matching projects shown in the sidebar and thus in the window itself.

A listing of the properties with which you can describe your desired projects is shown here:

I really like this script, and use it frequently. A number of particularly baroque features have been added at my suggestion, but I can't take the credit for all of them :-)

If you need help installing the script, see the FAQ.

So I downloaded the Where In OF script and followed the FAQ. The script now shows up under OmniFocus Scripts in my script menu as WhereInOF 739 - but when I click it, absolutely nothing happens. What am I missing?

I presume you've unzipped it ?
Once you have, first try dbl-clicking it in a Finder directory - it should run as a stand-alone app.

If that's working then I would try installing it to the OF toolbar.

(Does also work from the script menu (on my 10.6 system, at least) but opening the menu just adds one more step).

Yes, I have unzipped it. However, it (WhereInOF739.app) does not seem to run as a standalone app. I double-click it and nothing happens; its icon doesn't show up in the Dock.

I'm running Lion - could that be the problem?

Yes, it could be something to do with Lion - I'm compiling it under 10.6

It might be worth trying to recompile it by opening it in Applescript Editor and doing a Save As (file format: application).

It works fine on 10.7 (Lion). That's where I'm using it. I dropped it in ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus and it shows right up in OF. I added it to my toolbar.