The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New User Question: Org Charts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Greetings,

I use OG for wireframes and like it quite a bit for that. I need an org chart and am trying to figure out how to use it for that. I am struggling.

I want to be able to drag a box icon onto the grid (that's easy) and then immediately connect it to the appropriate box. So let's say I drag a box onto the grid and name it 'manager'. Then I want to drag a box over 'manager' and have it automatically linked as subordinate to 'manager'. Then once in place, I just have to label it as 'staff.' Is that type of automation possible?

Alternatively, I could place my boxes and then link them real quick and have it autoformat.

The org chart process seems a bit slow for me as of now. Flexible, but I need speed.

All suggestions are most welcome! Thanks!!

Eric

Have you tried using the Org Chart document templates included with the application? Just choose one when creating the document, then click the Outline button in the toolbar. Type in your organizational structure in outline form and it lays it all out and connects it for you. Also see Tutorial 2 in the help.

Note to self: add all our product manuals to iBooks, because you can't search them in Safari and iPad currently lacks the "send to iBooks" feature iOS 4 added.

Check the help menu content and/or the manual for info on the outline sidebar and/or mouseless editing; either would be much faster ways to define the structure of your chart. Does that help?

Beaten to the punch! DARN MY ROBOT FINGERS THEY WERE TOO SLOW!