The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do local notifications work in OF 1.7? [Similar to Push alerts] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The phone is off, as in asleep-not powered off completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Is there a way to disable these notifications or change the time before the due date the notification occurs?
There's no visible UI for changing the settings, but you can tap the two links below in Safari on your device to enable or disable them.
Disable local notifications

Enable local notifications
(You'll need to restart OmniFocus for the settings to take affect.)

The time isn't adjustable at this point, but as always, folks that want that can email the support ninjas and vote for the feature. Thanks!

Last edited by Brian; 2010-06-23 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: english failure. good thing I don't write for a living...

Just sent this into the ninjas. Hope I'm not the only one thinking this..

---
I definitely would choose sound for my notifications. So that's vote one.

And since I have almost 2,000 actions in almost 100 projects, I would definitely like a bit more control over configuring my alerts. An alerts on-off switch in each project and super-action would be super-sweet (one in each action I think would be sickly-treacle-y sweet).

Finally, a simple local notifications on-off switch in the options dialog would be nice.

LOVIN' the fast switching. Thanks for 1.7.

The local notifications were a pleasant surprise (on my 3G), but they would be much more valuable if they also had a sound/vibration option. I was disappointed when I did not see any controls for it under Settings | Notifications. Presently the only way one is reminded of a task is if he/she incidentally looks at the phone's face (like when one happens to check the time, etc.), so it's not as good as walking along and feeling a vibration that would draw one's attention to the phone. Please implement this as soon as you can. Just about every other notification type on my phone has the option for sound/vibration.

Actually, I would think the notification should be sometime BEFORE the due date. Many of my due dates are of the drop-dead fashion, meaning a notification at the moment they are just about to go overdue is not what I want in many (most?) cases. I think being notified at the START date-time would be preferrable. Oh and how very nice a snooze functionality would be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlow View Post
The local notifications were a pleasant surprise (on my 3G)
Yeah, they're working on my 3G as well, which I was a little surprised by. Should they be?

Ok, I understand better what you guys meant having received my first "alert" today... And I must say (respectfully) that I'm personally not in favour of implementing more options/more complications for alerts... In fact, I don't really see the points of alerts outside of calendar reminders, i.e. outside of the OF system.

Now since I don't want to be completely daft, I was wondering if those of you requesting alerts, and particularly those of you with many actions/projects, could tell me how you use them in your workflow, since I don't see it currently?
For example, how many alerts are you expecting to/would you like to/do you currently receive per day? How do you incorporate this vs. (or with) daily/weekly reviews, if at all?

Just curious and hoping to understand other workflow styles...

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
Ok, I understand better what you guys meant having received my first "alert" today... And I must say (respectfully) that I'm personally not in favour of implementing more options/more complications for alerts... In fact, I don't really see the points of alerts outside of calendar reminders, i.e. outside of the OF system.

Now since I don't want to be completely daft, I was wondering if those of you requesting alerts, and particularly those of you with many actions/projects, could tell me how you use them in your workflow, since I don't see it currently?
For example, how many alerts are you expecting to/would you like to/do you currently receive per day? How do you incorporate this vs. (or with) daily/weekly reviews, if at all?

Just curious and hoping to understand other workflow styles...

Thanks
I would use alerts if I could enable them on a task-by-task or project-by-project basis (i.e. a checkbox on the inspector panel nearby the due date).

I was using calendar alerts, but I rely on repeating tasks a lot - everything from remembering to give the cats their medicine once a week, to checking the tire pressure on the cars, to checking the chemicals in the hot tub, to submitting my monthly expense claim at work. On some days I had several alerts and I just went numb to them.

But if I could easily select an alert so it appears when I really do need one to appear, I would definitely do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudster View Post
I would use alerts if I could enable them on a task-by-task or project-by-project basis (i.e. a checkbox on the inspector panel nearby the due date).

I was using calendar alerts, but I rely on repeating tasks a lot - everything from remembering to give the cats their medicine once a week, to checking the tire pressure on the cars, to checking the chemicals in the hot tub, to submitting my monthly expense claim at work. On some days I had several alerts and I just went numb to them.

But if I could easily select an alert so it appears when I really do need one to appear, I would definitely do it.
Thanks, fudster. I see your point, but wouldn't it be a lot of extra work deciding which tasks merit an alert or not? (and from a NA point of view, doesn't this come back to the prioritization problem?) And wouldn't you eventually risk "becoming numb" to alerts from OF as well? Especially if they're for the same repeating tasks? Just curious... For me, one of the revelations of GTD was the review system, which even diminished the need for calendar alerts (morning calendar preview), so I'm trying to understand how other implementations work.

I'd like to say I can relate to the "chemicals in the hot tub", but fortunately when I walked in my PI's office the first thing I said was "I like maths", which landed me the sweet, sweet job of analysis (that gets me a free pass on working from a laptop at my preferred coffee shop)... :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
Thanks, fudster. I see your point, but wouldn't it be a lot of extra work deciding which tasks merit an alert or not? (and from a NA point of view, doesn't this come back to the prioritization problem?) And wouldn't you eventually risk "becoming numb" to alerts from OF as well? Especially if they're for the same repeating tasks? Just curious... For me, one of the revelations of GTD was the review system, which even diminished the need for calendar alerts (morning calendar preview), so I'm trying to understand how other implementations work.

I'd like to say I can relate to the "chemicals in the hot tub", but fortunately when I walked in my PI's office the first thing I said was "I like maths", which landed me the sweet, sweet job of analysis (that gets me a free pass on working from a laptop at my preferred coffee shop)... :D

I would not become numb to them if they were disabled by default. If I determined during my review that I actually do need a hard reminder to do one peculiar and particular thing at a certain time, and if OF allowed me to do that with the click of a checkbox, I would use the feature. More precisely, I think I'd use it if I could enable it on the Mac and see the alert on the iPhone (or on both). I think the method of using the iCal calendar would provide that flexibility.

I think one reason I went numb to the (all-or-nothing) alerts was that most of my duedates are for recurring tasks, that are easily renegotiable, because they are agreements I've made with myself.

I actually struggled with some GTD-guilt about using due dates like this (i.e. ascribing due dates to something that's not really hard-landscape), but I don't worry too much about that anymore. This works for me, I'm more effective and dependable from doing it this way. But there have been times I wish I could easily set an alert for a due date though - perhaps three or four times a month.