The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

omnigraffle outliner as a genealogy chart Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All;

I was quite impressed at OGs outline OR chart tool, but cannot seem to get it to work with a genealogy chart, where you have a series of two main topics (husband, wife) feeding into a married date, which then feeds into children topics, which feds to more married dates, children, etc.

I'm sure it is possible-just can't wrap my head around how to do it.

Any help appreciated.

Matthew

I am working on this very thing. OOP seems like it should be able to do this but when you get a husband and wife combo it seems to fail because you cannot hoist the husband and wife together. Maybe just the general downfall of using OOP as a family tree maker.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert with OmniGraffle. But for what you are trying to do I would recommend dedicated genealogy software. The graphics available in MacFamily Tree are stunning.

Having spent some time recently expanding a family genealogy, I have to agree with the suggestion of using purpose-built genealogy software for anything but the simplest diagrams, and I've rarely met a problem where my first reaction isn't to attempt to use Omni{Outliner,Graffle,GraphSketcher,Plan,Focus} in some fashion...