The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Enhanced Super Perspective Builder/Forecast View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I love using the iPad's forecast view (I know this is the Mac forum) which shows tasks that are due or start for the current week, and I almost exclusively use it to drive my daily projects.

It has a couple of short fallings:
- items that have both a start and due date are listed in both groupings, so the day looks busier than it is, and it creates extra "noise" that you have to filter through to find tasks

- start date items get lost in the shuffle after the actual start date passes. They no longer show up on the radar.

- flagged items don't show up, and I would like to see these in the "radar" view of forecast view

So I end up doing a lot of bouncing back and forth between the various days in the forecast view, a start items perspective (to see tasks with a recent, but passed start date), and a flagged tasks perspective.

This is a lot of bouncing and back and forth, and tasks often show up in all three views.

So I thought, OK lets have Omni just build some tweaks to Forecast view to fix the issues above, which would be easy enough to do as well.

But what if we could build custom perspectives that had this kind of power?

So I could build a perspective that:

Finds tasks with a due date within the current work week, plus past due items and grouped them at the top.
Then lists tasks with a start date within the last two weeks (but excludes tasks already listed in the due group).
Then lists tasks that are flagged (but excludes tasks already listed in the due/start groups).

One list to rule them all!

EDIT PS: Another way to think of this, or a faster way for Omni to maybe develop this (but not as powerful as a way to build custom perspectives with advanced filters and grouping), would be to extend the Status Filter to include a "Due or Flagged or Start Date" option

Last edited by joelande; 2012-05-10 at 05:58 AM..

Funnily enough I have a suite of perspectives with radar in the name that serve exactly this purpose.

I have:
- short range radar views: flagged or due and available - with various sort options.
- long range radar views: remaining - with various sort options.

Every morning I have a quick glance through them all to see what's looming.

Omni are brewing a forecast view for the desktop version, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if it goes beyond the limitations of the iPad version that you detail in your post.

I have to say that I like having the forecast view be an actual date-based forecast, not an attempt to be an all-things-for-all-people dashboard. Losing track of items which started before today is a misfeature, though. Seems like allowing a Past Start group in the Past section (paralleling the Starting groups in the rest of the week) would be a convenient way to address that without major sheet metal work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Seems like allowing a Past Start group in the Past section (paralleling the Starting groups in the rest of the week) would be a convenient way to address that without major sheet metal work.
Yes, this was an enhancement request I made directly to Omni as well.

Grouping start dates that happened in the past and having them only available in the past column would be acceptable to me.

(I just want to make sure that flagged items are grouped in below as well, at least optionally — not sure if they would appear in every day's view or not).