The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't email files from iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I started working on a file on my mac / zipped it (maybe because it had layers or had an image) / emailed it to my ipad / worked on it on my ipad / removed the image / emailed it to my Mac / it didn't send the attachment / then I erased the layers / emailed it again / still didn't see the attachments / reduced it from 11x17 to 8x10 / emailed again / and it still didn't work. This happened a few times now.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Andreas

Without seeing the file I can't be sure this is the issue, but I’m betting that the file was saved as a file package on the Mac.

We've discovered that Mail for iPad doesn't handle file packages. You can retrieve these files via iTunes, fortunately. If you use OmniGraffle for the Mac to resave these files as flat files before moving them to the iPad you should be fine.

thanks pjp,
I'm not quite sure I follow you completely - how do you save a flat file? So you loose your layers, right?

It emailed it ok to the ipad, but not back from the ipad to my Mac.

How do you get the file into itunes?

thanks again,
Andreas

No, flat file in this context means it isn't saved as a package file (really, a directory full of files masquerading as a single file) but as one file with multiple files stuck together (with the appropriate provisions for peeling them apart later). It has nothing to do with flattening layers in the Photoshop sense. The package file format can be more efficient when changing part of a document (don't have to rewrite the entire file), but they don't work everywhere.

On the Mac side, bring up the Document Inspector, Document tab, and the File Format chooser will let you pick from automatic, flat, or package.

As for iTunes, if you go into iTunes with your iPad cabled up, select the Apps tab on the iPad, scroll to the bottom and there's a section for transferring files to/from apps on the iPad which are coded appropriately to use this mechanism.

thank you very much!