The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to show time in the Due Date column? [A: can enable. see thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have made the due column very wide so there is plenty of space to show the time as well as the day, but nothing extra appears.

Have I done something wrong, or is this just a lacking feature in the software?

You have to turn on the display. From the 1.7 release notes:

In addition to "Yesterday", "Today" and "Tomorrow" you can have date cells show the time. Since this feature is still experimental there isn't a preference interface for it yet, but here are some commands you can enter into Terminal to adjust the built-in settings:
Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterShowTime YES
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDefaultWantsTruncatedTime YES
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterUseRelativeDayNames YES
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle medium

Nice. Thanks.

Beauty! Since I like to see my time in 24h format, I just substituted the second line with

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDefaultWantsTruncatedTime NO

... works like a treat.

Hello. I have been using the above hint with the trial of Omnifocus. I finally bought Omnifocus from the Mac App Store and this hint no longer works. Any ideas on how I can re-enable it? The hint was so useful and I became so used to it.

Thanks.

I found out why it doesn't work.

The Apple Store uses com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.MacAppStore.plist instead of com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist and the options available in the MacAppStore version are limited.

However, I copied the four missing values and added them manually to the plist and after restarting Omnifocus, it showed up! Success. I am very happy now.

Thank you - the terminal commands totally worked for me EXCEPT - when I sort on the field, it doesn't factor in the start time on the Sort - just date.

Suggestions?

Are you sorting in project view or context view? In project mode it sorts based on the due date of the project, except if there is none, in which case it sorts on the earliest due date of any of the remaining actions, it would appear. And most importantly, project mode sorts projects, not the actions inside them. If you want to see which project you need to finish first, project mode would be the place to look. If you want to see which action you need to do first, context mode is the place to look.

thanks a lot for the nice contribution- now OF seems even more "complete"... code (+24h trick) did the job for me, thanks!

would anyone mind helping out a complete idiot out and telling me what exactly goes into Terminal and how it should be written? I came across this thread looking for a way to display times like the OP but I've never used the Terminal before so I have no idea how to enter those commands.