The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Iphone and desktop syncing can be done - LOOK here!!! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well omni - why can it be done here and not by you??

http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/u...index.htm#Sync

:(

If you read carefully, you'll see that it is being done over your WiFi network, not when you plug in your iPhone. The Splash folks apparently built in their own server in the desktop application, or maybe at Splash galactic HQ. The Omni approach is more generally useful, in that you can use it to sync desktop machines that aren't networked together, for example, but it does require that you have access to a WebDAV server in the iPhone case.

Yes, it looks like they're doing WebDAV over your local network. This is possible in OmniFocus; we're looking into ways we can make the configuration/setup process simpler. That's the main issue that folks are having right now.

Thanks Brian

Its a pity no-one would admit to the importance of this a couple of weeks ago when I first raised it!
At that time I also mentioned the main competitor of omnifocus on the iphone and mac and they are also having to look all of a sudden at how to provide syncing ability between the mobile and the desktop WITHOUT an intermediary. I think most of us love the idea of direct over the air always on sync, but realise that is still not a reality. Yesterdays 3G launch showed again how things can go badly wrong in the world of computing!!

I have already signed up for bingodisk and have my iphone syncing. But when I can sync with out the net I will drop the use of it. £10 is worth it until then.

By the way my services as a product consultant are available at a very competitive rate!!
;)

No one could respond a few weeks ago - they were all under an NDA with Apple, remember.