The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Intelligently stretchable stencils Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey guys.

Is there any way that one can create stencils that stretch intellegently. For example, if I create a stencil for a dialog box, when I grab a corner and pull it out, I want the title bar to get wider, but not taller, and the various buttons to remain where they are relative to the left or right, top or bottom edges.

I hate having to take complex stencil groups, ungrouping them and stretching each piece individually.

If this can't yet be done, what will it take to put it into the queue of things to do for the next release?

Adam

I am a product manager, and spend a lot of time mocking up GUIs... any progress on this capability would be much appreciated!!

Apart from that, luv the product...

If you're using groups to do things like title bars, etc. you can click on the group once to select it, and click a second time to select a component of the group and then resize it independently of the others.

For example, you have three circles and a long rectangle grouped to represent a title bar:

Click a second time to sub-select the rectangle:

And resize:

Hope that helps.

This is fine so long as the element you want to resize is on the edge. What is needed is a way to control the resizing of all elements in a group. For each element make left or right anchored or moveable (relative to the group) as well as top or bottom (but not both!). Then made width and height either fixed, resizing or scaling. There are plenty of UI tools that do just that, OmniiGraffle just needs this in v5!

Last edited by rolandw; 2007-12-03 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Little typo!

+1 for this -- it would be very very helpful, especially for GUI work.

here, here! this is exactly what I'm looking for too.

This feature would be *hugely* helpful. Thanks OmniFolks!

This would be a huge improvement for me as well!

Ditto here - with this one addition, OmniGraffle would be many times faster for my most often task these days.

OmniGroup guys - consider a spring/rod metaphor as in Interface Builder? That's what I'm needing.

See also: the 9-slice tool in Adobe Fireworks. I've been hoping for some kind of intelligent re-sizing in OmniGraffle for years. Here's another vote for the feature to make it onto the list for a near-future release.