The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filter on explicitly due actions only? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like a Perspective that shows only actions with a current or past explicitly due date (important so I don't miss doing things with due dates), but using a Perspective with show Due and filter on Due, I see actions not just with explicit Due dates, but ones without as well.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
I'd like a Perspective that shows only actions with a current or past explicitly due date (important so I don't miss doing things with due dates), but using a Perspective with show Due and filter on Due, I see actions not just with explicit Due dates, but ones without as well.
The ones without have parents with due dates. The assumption being that if the parent is due, then all its children must also be due. In fact, the plan as I understand it is to make parent start and due dates serve as constraints on the children. For example, a child could not have an explicit due date later than the parents.

What I would like is for child tasks without explicit due dates to show the parent's due date in context view, perhaps in a lighter shade.

Curt

Curt, thanks for the explanation.

I really expected (and still wish) that actions of parallel projects without explicit due dates wouldn't show up when filtering on due dates. I also see Singleton actions showing up with no explicit due dates, which also seems odd. In both the previous cases, I understand these actions are available, but I want to see things that are explicitly marked with current or past due dates, if they are not part of a sequential project (or whatever library 'folders' are now called) with a current or past due date.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-09-15 at 04:20 PM..

Ah, I missed something in your original post Bob.

Are you also grouping by due date in your context view? If you group, then the last group will be None. You can collapse that to hide the items without due dates.

Curt

So far, yes, I'm grouping by due date as well. The last group, None, shows items with no (at least) explicit due dates. I can collapse and hide that, but all the other groups (today, next month, etc.) still include actions without explicit due dates, even in parallel projects and singleton groups. thanks

Bob

Quote:
In both the previous cases, I understand these actions are available, but I want to see things that are explicitly marked with current or past due dates, if they are not part of a sequential project (or whatever library 'folders' are now called) with a current or past due date.
I'm not sure why you expect this behavior. If you have set a due date on a parallel project, doesn't that mean that all the actions in that project should be done by the due date? In that case, I would want all the actions to inherit the project due date and show up when I've grouped or sorted by due date, unless they had their own, earlier, due date, in which case they should show up by then. After all, if the project is due on Oct. 15, then all the actions had better be done by then; otherwise, the project isn't done.

And if your singleton bucket has a due date, the same should apply.

If you haven't set due dates on the parallel projects or buckets, and actions in them show up by due date anyway, then you should report the bug to Omni.

If I've misunderstood you, please clarify why you expect different due date behavior from sequential projects, parallel projects, and single action buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
I'm not sure why you expect this behavior. If you have set a due date on a parallel project, doesn't that mean that all the actions in that project should be done by the due date?[...]

If you haven't set due dates on the parallel projects or buckets, and actions in them show up by due date anyway, then you should report the bug to Omni.
I do not have due dates on the parallel projects or buckets; that is why I expect to only see the actions with due dates.

Bob

Quote:
I do not have due dates on the parallel projects or buckets; that is why I expect to only see the actions with due dates.

Bob
Could you post a screen shot? That's not the behavior that I get with the latest build.

I've created four parallel 'projects': two Singleton buckets and two projects. Of the two types, one each has actions with both current (or past) due date; the others with no action due dates. None of the projects/buckets have explicit due dates. (I've filtered on text I tagged the projects and actions with -- "888", to keep the snapshot small enough.)

What I'm seeing is I *think* different than what is expected, if I understand this thread correctly. With filtering set to "due", instead of seeing only actions (of a parallel project with no explicit due date of its own) that have an explicity-set due date, I see *all* actions (even those with no explicity due date) of a project or singleton bucket (in a grouping of Today, Yesterday, etc.)

What seems to be happening is the parallel project and Singleton bucket are showing all actions, even those with no explicit due date, and furthermore, grouped together based on the oldest explicit due date (i.e., an action due today is shown grouped with an action due yesterday).

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	due_due.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	298  

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-09-16 at 01:41 PM..

Quote:
What I'm seeing is I *think* different than what is expected, if I understand this thread correctly. With filtering set to "due", instead of seeing only actions (of a parallel project with no explicit due date of its own) that have an explicity-set due date, I see *all* actions (even those with no explicity due date) of a project or singleton bucket (in a grouping of Today, Yesterday, etc.)

What seems to be happening is the parallel project and Singleton bucket are showing all actions, even those with no explicit due date, and furthermore, grouped together based on the oldest explicit due date (i.e., an action due today is shown grouped with an action due yesterday).
Thanks for the screenshot. It shows that you're in project view, not context view. Curt and I were assuming that you were in context view.

In Project view, the behavior you describe is expected. The group and sort items in the view bar don't filter; they organize. (That's why the name is view bar, not filter bar, which was an earlier name.) The first should group projects by their due date or the first due date in them; the second should sort projects by the same criterion (so that, for instance, "Within the next week" will be sorted by due date instead of by some other criterion). The actual actions shown in each project will be determined by your choice in the action filter: all, next, available, remaining, or completed.

In Context view, choosing the same grouping and sorting options will give you the results that Curt and I were describing. It would be nice, though, if the UI displayed the due (or start) date inherited from the project or action group.