The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Android users - how do you manage? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've ordered the Nexus 7 and I'm anticipating using it as my primary tablet (I know -- highly optimistic considering I haven't even gone hands-on with it). The big problem: OmniFocus. I'd love to be able to access it on the Nexus.

My current plan is to simply use the send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com option to add tasks from the Nexus, and do everything else from the Mac, iPad, and iPhone as I do now.

I'm wondering how other Android/Omnifocus users cope.

Get a trial account on http://www.spootnik.net/ and kick the tires. It's not an outstanding web interface to OmniFocus, but it is serviceable.

(No disrespect intended to the developer, it's literally the only option and the reason it exists is to facilitate OmniFocus/Basecamp interactions, not to be a Web OmniFocus)

If you go full-Android I would recommend one of the web GTD applications, the best one (imo) is NirvanaHQ https://www.nirvanahq.com/, I haven't seen anything on Android that comes remotely close to OmniFocus. Nirvana doesn't either but it has a good interface and an offline mode and is the most serviceable.

// side note, I would not hate it if OmniGroup was more encouraging of third party developers to do this sort of thing if it isn't one of their priorities -- would really help a lot of users out, it's a common question.

@emory - Thanks for the tips. I haven't heard about nirvanahq. I'll check it out.

I'm looking into Nozbe as an alternative to OF. The downsides: Somewhat expensive, and the Android client gets poor reviews.

I used Nozbe for a while on a trial basis. My biggest complaints about it were that the interface was a bit clunky and the developer/company was really HEY HOW ARE YOU DOING LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT PRODUCTIVITY AND NOZBE.

Ha! I've used apps like that.

I'm trying out Evernote as a possible OmniFocus replacement. We'll see how it goes.

I have all 3 versions of OF (iPhone, iPad and Mac) but I have converted to Android so need a replacement. I've tried a few but narrowed it down to Astrid and Any.Do. But my needs are quite simple.

All that said, if Apple opened up its OS a bit more I'd be back in a flash and the main reason would be OF. In fact, if I return to iOS it will be 90% because of OF.

Edited (finally): pathetic spelling :)

Last edited by Ron1n; 2012-08-17 at 05:14 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory View Post
I used Nozbe for a while on a trial basis. My biggest complaints about it were that the interface was a bit clunky and the developer/company was really HEY HOW ARE YOU DOING LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT PRODUCTIVITY AND NOZBE.
Haha I had the same feeling. Plus almost no shortcuts. I tested "all" the apps on the market and tried to quit omnifocus twice... it is impossible.

@Mitch - why did you purchased Nexus? Is it because of you use a lot of google apps, size, price?
I have iPad 1, exclusively for OF and ebooks. I use some more apps, but basically that was the reason I purchased that. I tried to quit omnifocus and switch fully to Google based apps and use Nexus 7 and Google Nexus Galaxy, but OmniFocus beats everything.
So if it is price what concerned you, I would recommend to buy a pristine condition iPad 1 from eBay, cheaper than a new Nexus. Plus, it will work nicely with your iPhone (if you use iPhone). Believe me, OmniFocus on Mac + iPad is a killer. I really recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainInside View Post
I would recommend to buy a pristine condition iPad 1
Probably a safer proposition to buy an iPad 2 at this point, perhaps one with imperfect cosmetics if price is an issue. Even the iPad 2 misses out on some features in iOS 6; it's a false economy to buy nearly-obsolete hardware, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Probably a safer proposition to buy an iPad 2 at this point, perhaps one with imperfect cosmetics if price is an issue. Even the iPad 2 misses out on some features in iOS 6; it's a false economy to buy nearly-obsolete hardware, IMO.
Good point. But if you use it only for OmniFocus, iCal and eBooks... Apple keeps the price of it's product. If you buy iPad/iPhone in excellent cosmetic condition, you will be able to sell it for much more (considering you will carry for that device). If you want to switch more tasks to iPad, you're right. I found much easier, quicker and more comfortable to have my base camp on my MacBook Pro. But, it is uncomfortable to read on MBP, and weekly reviewing on iPad rocks. If you don't need games, camera, 3G connection (iPad 1 has Wi-Fi - good enough for me), bunch of software which requires iPad 2/3, etc., iPad 1 will be the cheapest solution. Also, accessories for iPad 1 are cheaper (like Apple case) than for iPad 3. Depends what you want to use it for. For my needs, I find no difference in iPad 1 and 3.

I traded my iPhone for a Galaxy S2, but omnifocus made me go back. Now I'm tired of iPhone again and plan to change. Won't be able to quit OF, so I too will have to find some other solution.

Last time I used an automated apple script to export a few perspectives to an html file in dropbox, and I might try that again. You can't edit anything, but at least you get access to your contexts, which should be enough when you're only using your phone.

Script can be found here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...16&postcount=2

I automated it with Lingon 3, which is simple to use and available on the app store.