The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

considering switching from wlan/webdav to MobileMe/iDisk Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

(sorry about the large post - here's the gist: I'm concerned that switching from my webdav-over-home-wlan to using mobileme/iDisk might introduce more latency for synching than I can bear) - any anecdotes?

Since last August, I've been synching OF on my iPhone with OF on my Mac, using the apache server on my MBP17, over my wlan. This means I can only sync at home, and only when my laptop is running and open, but as a work-at-home employee I don't travel much and this works pretty well.

My database is rather large. Still fine, but OF on the iPhone takes a long time to sync, the first time after doing a lot of changes on the laptop (i.e. after a weekly review). When this happens, OF on the iPhone appears to be frozen for a bit, but if I can let it finish (which I always do, though it's a tad inconvenient) it's fine.

I've just signed up for the 2 month trial on MobileMe. I've often thought about whether it would work better for me to have an always-on, always-there sync for my OmniFocus - so I'm ready to give it a shot - however, I have a couple questions that you folks could surely answer:

1) from a glance at this new sub-forum, using iDisk webdav has some gothchas and things to watch out for. Since I have something that works now, would I be better advised to leave things well-enough alone as they are? I'd thought it would "just work".. Once I got my apache webdav set up here, there was nothing to it.

2) those big-bang "catching up" syncs, with my rather-large database concern me a little. I'm assuming there's a lot more latency from using an iDisk, or from using Edge vs. wlan (I disable 3G), or both... So, what have your experiences been for overall performance using iDisk for OF?

Say I'm out and about running errands and I open OF to view my Errands->Hardware->Canadian Tire context. Then on its own, it successfully connects to my iDisk and begins a sync - and if I'm somewhat out of sync, I could wind up waiting for a long time, perhaps too long for OF to be useful. At present, the connection just times out and I can continue using OF in "perform" mode when I'm out and about.

Last edited by fudster; 2009-05-21 at 10:28 AM..

I've had a very good experience using MobileMe as my sync source. I've been using it since the beginning and it's been virtually trouble-free. I would definitely consider myself a heavy user, accessing OmniFocus on both my iPhone and my Mac several time an hour throughout the day.

Latency hasn't been a problem at all for me. In fact, most syncs complete in about 10-30 seconds (and sometimes even less). This is over Wi-Fi or 3G and assumes I've been keeping both of my clients synced at least a couple times a day, which is usually the case. Even over Edge it hasn't really been a problem.

I did turn off automatic syncing on my iPhone though. I prefer to control when a sync initiates so that I can get right to my data when I start up the app on my iPhone. Then, after I've made a bunch of changes, I tap the sync button, sleep the display, and slip my iPhone back into my pocket. It continues its sync while I move on with whatever I'm doing. Works beautifully.

I'm not sure what you consider a large database, but I've got about 2,300 actions and 420 projects according to the settings screen in the iPhone app.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-05-21 at 12:17 PM..

Hey Toadling!

Thanks for your reply! Our databases are almost identical in size - at the moment I have 438 projects and 2723 actions.

I've taken one tip from you already - regardless of how I proceed, I've switched off Automatic Synching on my iPhone.

Thanks very much. It sounds like I don't have much to be concerned about.

(I'll be careful about using the iDisk/Mac sync feature, which appears to be causing lots of problems for some people)

Thanks Toadling!