The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Anyone using OF in a Basecamp work environment? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am using OF. Was using Kinkless GTD and dabbled with iGTD. But now have purchased the prerelease because I like Omni's software (Graffle and Outliner).

I am wondering if anyone in the forums works within a Basecamp work environment and is using OF to manage their life.

Do you integrate the 2, or keep them separate?

If you do integrate, how do you integrate the 2?

What strategies do you employ?

I have mail-act-on and mail-tags. I haven't found the best way to have Basecamp email tasks that show up in my in-box get "auto-sent" to my inbox in OF. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks.

Well, it would take some pretty involved scripting, but you could do some really tight integration with this:

http://developer.37signals.com/basecamp/

I'm looking at doing something for Toodledo or Highrise with a similar XML over HTTP API for use on an iPhone (none of the current or planned iPhone solutions look like my ideal)

-P

ptone,

that would be a sweet way to integrate. However, I am at a loss to program in the API environment. Would love to collaborate with someone on this in whatever way I could.

Either API, or Applescript.

I was just hopping onto the forums to see if this was discussed.

I use basecamp in my projects -- team collaboration seems to work fairly well. I have an RSS feed from basecamp for the project to see how my teams are working. I have items on basecamp for me, but only list those that are directly related to the team and then usually at a higher level. So it would be something like this:

BASECAMP:
"Draft Document X" - Morgan

OMNIFOCUS:
"Outline Document" @Mac
"Review Table of contents of Document" @Boss
"Email X@Y.com to get numbers for document draft" @email
"Share draft document with team" @email

So you get the idea.

BUT, these are not synced up in any way in my world. It would be great to explore some options as to how to do this -- of course OF isn't even 1.0 yet, but still... <grin>

Can OF deal with an rss feed? I tried to look it up on these forums but it will not let you search for a word with less than 4 letters. Weird.

I will third (or forth) the Basecamp integration.

In theory, what I would like is somehow to get things that are assigned to me via Basecamp sync'd up with OmniFocus.

BZ

BwanaZulia,
I found Curt Cliftons scripts yesterday on the forums. They are sweet.
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/...e.html#OF-Mail

I set up a mail rule with mail-act-on and any Basecamp tasks that come in are auto-sent to OF. The only thing I would like to do now is have the script clean out some of the extra copy that comes in the preformatted BC task emails.

Wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of integrating that wish and creating a BC email mod of Curt's script. Then again I'm not sure what Curt's license is on his scripts. I wonder if he is open to a mod, and then have it re-shared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berchman View Post
BwanaZulia,
I found Curt Cliftons scripts yesterday on the forums. They are sweet.
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/...e.html#OF-Mail

I set up a mail rule with mail-act-on and any Basecamp tasks that come in are auto-sent to OF. The only thing I would like to do now is have the script clean out some of the extra copy that comes in the preformatted BC task emails.

Wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of integrating that wish and creating a BC email mod of Curt's script. Then again I'm not sure what Curt's license is on his scripts. I wonder if he is open to a mod, and then have it re-shared?
The scripts have a modified BSD license. Feel free to mod and re-share. As a Software Engineering educator, I'm more than pleased if someone can learn and benefit from the source code.

Curt

curt those are some great scripts especially the email linkers and the next action review.

has anyone figured out how to send an email from omnifocus (or mail, etc) that would create a 'waiting for' action?