The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How about automatic self-updates...? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
sorry for awaking this old thread. i have been using the sneaky peeks for a while now and today updated to 1.5. The automatic update from the omni programs very often does not work smoothly for me. That is, the update works, but then i cannot empty my trash, because there are supposedly some files still in use although the omni app isn't open (this time OmniFocusMetadataImporter). This is really happening to me all the time - also with Omnigraffle. It seems to me as if your own update framework is still kind of buggy. Why not just switch to Sparkle and solve all these inconvenciences.

Just guessing here, but are you trying to empty the trash immediately after upgrading? If so, what happens if you wait awhile before emptying the trash?

The OmniFocusMetadataImporter is an OF "plug in" for Spotlight that runs in the background independently of whether OF is launched. If Spotlight is indexing when you upgrade, then the importer can't be deleted until Spotlight is done with it. This would be true regardless of the automatic update framework used. That is, switching to Sparkle wouldn't fix this particular problem.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post
sorry for awaking this old thread. i have been using the sneaky peeks for a while now and today updated to 1.5. The automatic update from the omni programs very often does not work smoothly for me. That is, the update works, but then i cannot empty my trash, because there are supposedly some files still in use although the omni app isn't open (this time OmniFocusMetadataImporter). This is really happening to me all the time - also with Omnigraffle. It seems to me as if your own update framework is still kind of buggy. Why not just switch to Sparkle and solve all these inconvenciences.
The files in use are typically OmniFocus components provided to other parts of the system, such as Mail or Spotlight. I see no reason to believe the situation would be any different using Sparkle. You'll get the same error even if you download the bits yourself from the web page.

Waiting didn't help. Loggin out and logging in again didn't help either. I had to reboot my Macbook in order to empty the trash. I just assumed that something in the update system is broken. I used to haver other strange effects with it (i think in omnigraffle) like that the restart after updating would start the old version and not the new one. I don't understand in the first place why Omnigroup wouldn't adopt to a system that is so widespread that every other self-baken system just feels awkward. In any case, i hope that this problem is fixable no matter what update system is used.

No, waiting won't help if you're still running the application or service that is using some piece of code from inside the OmniFocus bundle...

bnz, my guess is that you have installed the "OmniFocus Mail Clip-O-Tron" (via the Clippings preferences in OmniFocus). This causes Mail to load a plugin that is stored inside of OmniFocus. If that's the case, then quitting and restarting Mail will allow you to empty the Trash. (Because it causes Mail to release the old plugin and switch to the plugin in the new copy of OmniFocus.)

Fwiw, sleeping and waking your Mac will 'fix' the OmniFocusMetadataImporter issue as it forces the process to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Fwiw, sleeping and waking your Mac will 'fix' the OmniFocusMetadataImporter issue as it forces the process to stop.
As Andrew suggested, I quit mail to release the Clip-O-Tron plugin then use Secure Empty Trash from the Finder. Apparently, emptying the trash this way allows the OmniFocusMetadataImporter warning to be ignored.

Also, as others have pointed out, you can also wait a while and the OmniFocusMetadataImporter will eventually be released. If that didn't happen for you, bnz, then you didn't wait long enough. :)

-Dennis

Sparkle wouldn't help this problem, but I do have some thoughts on how to fix this. Hopefully in 1.6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Also, as others have pointed out, you can also wait a while and the OmniFocusMetadataImporter will eventually be released. If that didn't happen for you, bnz, then you didn't wait long enough. :)
How does several hours take you? It often doesn't release until I have slept or restarted my Mac.

I'm not sure I would like to use Secure Empty Trash to do this as I have no idea if it would release the process cleanly so that the Spotlight index isn't corrupted, whereas I can be sure that sleeping and waking will (or, at least, that it should ;) ).