The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus with Evernote Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
Nix the whole EgretList app route...while I enjoy the UI, it's too much of a hassle if you want to move the db around as it is locked to the device you configured it on (so that means you can't migrate your stuff to a new device when you upgrade).

I ended up using the Smart Folder solution with OF and it works great...now if we could just somehow get he RTF notes from Evernote to display in OmniFocus, we'd have a solid referencing system of sorts. :)
Hey policarpo,

Think I might have posted about that somewhere else... How were you using EgretList exactly? For general reference material? I'm finding it very useful specifically for checklists that need re-using (and I put in a feature request with the dev to have one-click check/uncheck all).

Yeah I am in contact with the developer. I was using Egretlist as a simple task management app to sync in to my Evernote Notes but since I am upgrading my iPhone I decided to drop the app. I spent about a week getting it set up the way I wanted but not having the ability to sync that setup to a new device was a deal breaker.

I really like the app, but I think it should be a solid GTD app with solid EN note integration. Right now it's about 70% of what it could be.

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-08-19 at 09:49 AM..

I too would love this integration. The challenge as a few people have mentioned is that you don't just want a link between the locally stored omnifocus task and Evernote note objects. I use both apps on two different macs, an iPhone, and an iPad (not to mention Evernote on a PC too)!

This issue is really on the Evernote side. There needs to be some universal identifier that associates the Evernote app and note.

I did find a pretty good work-around today. The web version of Evernote is very robust. Just keep a tab open with web Evernote. When you need to access that note from omnifocus, go to Evernote, view the note you need, copy the URL, and paste into the memo line into omnifocus. This has the advantage of working from any omnifocus client (iPhone will open safari I think).

This is how I integrate my email too. I use the URL for my current gmail message. And it also works for showing your Evernote or gmail in a mind manager mind map.

Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmadhure View Post
This is how I integrate my email too. I use the URL for my current gmail message. And it also works for showing your Evernote or gmail in a mind manager mind map.
I do the same thing with GMail, but unfortunately they seem to use a different URI structure for their mobile (iOS-optimized) sites, so the desktop link doesn't work.

I've actually been hacking around with some modifications to the Send-to-OF bookmarklet to try and get this to work more seamlessly by at least providing a second, rewritten link for the mobile site.

Do Evernote links made from the desktop work on the iPhone and iPad? Obviously they won't open the iOS app, but I guess that would be useful if they could at least open the web page.

There isn't any company immune from this. Google, Evernote, Apple, Microsoft.

http://www.net-security.org/secworld...et+Security%29

Quote:
A Google Site Reliability Engineer was fired in July after an internal investigation by the company that confirmed that he violated the privacy of several underage users.

David Barksdale, the fired 27-year old Google employee, seemingly abused his power to access various information located in the users' accounts and used it to demonstrate his power over at least four minors who were members of same technological group as him.

He allegedly accessed the accounts, contact lists and chat transcripts, call logs from Google Voice and, in one instance, removed the block that one of the minors set up on Gtalk in order to cut communications with him. He used the information found in the accounts to taunt the victims and to demonstrate his power, but according to a Gawker source, the harassment seems not have been sexual in nature.

When contacted, Barksdale refused to comment on anything, saying only that Gawker must have heard some pretty wild things if it thought that him getting fired was newsworthy.

Google issued a statement that confirmed that Barksdale was fired for breaking its internal privacy policies. "We carefully control the number of employees who have access to our systems, and we regularly upgrade our security controls–for example, we are significantly increasing the amount of time we spend auditing our logs to ensure those controls are effective," says Bill Coughran, Senior VP of Engineering at Google. "That said, a limited number of people will always need to access these systems if we are to operate them properly–which is why we take any breach so seriously."

If the company was unaware of the privacy violation until they received the complains, they should definitely use this incident as an indication that security controls must be reviewed.

Since this popped up let me add my voice to all the concerns you pose about cloud computing.

I am in control of the other apps that sync with my handhelds and I too was a Yojimbo user and synching Yojimbo to my Palm before I moved to an iPod Touch. Now I too use Evernote but I am not happy about it.

There are issues with Evernotes encryption ( which I use but it's a kludge to get ti to work properly) that make is unreliable.

Currently passwords and stuff are stored in 1Password, which syncs wifi over my own personal network.

If you ever find another app that supports notes like Evernote or Yojimbo that syncs over Bonjour or local wifi only let me know as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
Nix the whole EgretList app route...while I enjoy the UI, it's too much of a hassle if you want to move the db around as it is locked to the device you configured it on (so that means you can't migrate your stuff to a new device when you upgrade).

I ended up using the Smart Folder solution with OF and it works great...now if we could just somehow get he RTF notes from Evernote to display in OmniFocus, we'd have a solid referencing system of sorts. :)
Hey, policarpo:

Can you explain the "Smart Folder solution?" Seems I lost that link somewhere.

Thanks!

Just do a Search for your Evernote Documents on your local desktop, and save this Search Result as a Smart Folder. This will let you quickly view your local Evernote files and link them to your OmniFocus Tasks.

This is extremely limited and only good for seeing the Evernote notes on that particular machine, as they do not relate to the actual note stored in the Cloud.

So far, there is no 'elegant' solution to managing external Note Files with OF on all 3 devices.

Oh to dream :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeijin View Post
Have a look at what Nozbe + Evernote are doing:
http://www.nozbe.com/gtd/blog/post-1...fect_gtd_setup
It's been half a year since Nozbe came out with Evernote integration but still no news on the OF front. Now I'm considering whether to Nozbe, not to mention its "team/user-group" feature which is also missing on OF!

Does anyone know if OF is actively working on Evernote integration?

I usually check in with the Evernote guys at Macworld; this years' show is later this week. Last time I looked at this, though, Nozbe was basically doing lots of queries of your Evernote database. Each project in Nozbe asks Evernote for a list of items with a tag that matches the project name.

Most folks that have contacted us have been asking for a way to link a specific action in OmniFocus with a specific note in Evernote. That's a different feature.

When I talked to them last year, direct linking to items wasn't possible. Maybe that's changed, though... (It's also possible that my understanding of Nozbe's feature is out of date, as well!)

In any case, I've still got the business card of the guy I talked to at Macworld sitting on my desk. I'm hoping they'll have a booth again this year so I can bug them some more. :-)

Last edited by Brian; 2011-01-24 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: replace a comma with a semicolon in the first sentence.