The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

sp7 - my favicons went away and don't work Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The release notes for sp6 say that favicons are working. When I installed sp7, all my favicons went away. I thought they would reappear, but my favorites bar is populated with some purple bookmarks, some blue globes (old OW icon), and two correct favicons from sites I added to see if they would work at all.

This forum site is one of the places whose favicon has become inoperable. The Yahoo favicon makes its way onto the history items, but it won't stick on my bookmarks. Perhaps this is caused by my blocking third-party images? But the favicon doesn't work at spacew either (http://www.spacew.com/). It just doesn't display even though it exists.

Last edited by bethkatz17582; 2006-04-28 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: fix grammar

Have you tried to just delete the

~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5/Page Icons

and see if it now works?

I've flushed the caches. I also deleted that folder. I deleted my OW preferences (saving them first). I also tried looking in the index.plist in that folder, figuring out which file was used for this forum and putting the favicon from here (converted through GraphicConveter to png) into that file. Under Cached, the plist lists the correct URL for the favicons for the sites showing in my tab drawer, but the png files are incorrect. The tabs and favorites that do not have favicon.ico files on their web sites are not in the plist.

I note that when I launch again, the favicons are stored in different files. I would have thought they would be reused. This folder could get really full of (very small) files. Lots of my files are redundant blue globes. Interestingly, the two favicons that are correct on my favorites bar are reusing their png files. The ones being recreated (for favorites and the tabs) are the redundant incorrect blue globes. I'm guessing that in some check for favicons, the correct ones for these sites are not being found or aren't being converted to png correctly.

It isn't that I *need* favicons, but for me, they aren't working.

My favicons still aren't working well. I'm finding I'm getting the old OW logo as a favicon for some sites (including this one.)

There are some icons that don't display in Omniweb but do display in FireFox, an example is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip favicon.ico.zip (595 Bytes, 559 views)

My favicons were working for the longest time with the sneaky peeks, and then with SP7, then they *stopped* working. OW would randomly replace one or two sites with the blue globe icon (which I MUCH prefer to the ugly purple bookmark link, BTW!). And sometimes, after a day or two, OW is re-replacing the globes with the original icons again.

For me, this bug makes things a bit difficult because I have about 15 bookmarks in my favorites bar with no label – I rely on the favicon to know which bookmark is which.

Same here, I use the image only as this allows me to cram more in, and I have 1000's of bookmarks, not 100's.

I'd like to see the icons retained (optional) on a cache flush :)

Wow, I never knew OW kept the favicons in individual files; never looked, I guess.

In 5.1.3, it seems favicons would never update for me. I never dared flushing the cache though, for fear of losing the others. In the sneaky peeks I've used, the problem seemed to be fixed; all the sites that showed favicons in other browsers finally did too in OW. Apart from the huge 32x32 favicons that have been appearing, I haven't seen any other problems with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEGM9X
Presumably, you could save that folder and replace it after a cache flush ... I'm not willing to risk it though; too many bookmarks that I'd like to keep their icons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEGM9X
YES PLEASE!!!

Flushing the favicons should be another command, separate from Flush Cache. Seems like common sense to me.

Please can we have some action on this persistent problem from the developers?