The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Periodic OW 5.6 Inquiry Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey Everyone,

Just a heads up that we're planning on pushing out a sneaky peek tomorrow. Keep an eye out for it here on the forums!

Excellent news, thank you!

Yey! :d.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjay
It's true that, as Jonathan and Handycam say, there are other browsers that replicate most (though not all) the features of OmniWeb. But they do so via third-party plug-ins and mods that suffer from various degrees of hackishness. Not all of the Firefox add-ons work equally reliably, in my experience anyway, and when Firefox or Safari is updated you often find yourself faced with the choice of (a) delaying the update for quite a while or (b) having your add-ons broken. OmniWeb remains the only browser that has the advanced features baked in. I too have been frustrated by the extremely long wait for 5.6, and the javascript bugs have made it temporarily unusable for me, but assuming that those problems are addressed in 5.6, I wouldn't even consider using a browser other than OmniWeb.
'Tis true about Firefox and Safari (fwiw, I still use OmniWeb in preference to either as Firefox is just not a good browser on the Mac*, and Safaristand is an input manager hack and I don't want input manager hacks on my machine... not to mention it isn't as nice to use as OmniWeb anyway). However, my point was more that the other browsers have caught up in terms of the ability to have these features, and some of the features you can have are better than those in OmniWeb (e.g TMP in Firefox opens tabs next to the parent rather than making you jump to the bottom of the list all the time). I would dearly love to see OmniWeb take another leap in front of Firefox, but it has felt as though development has been in limbo the past six months or more. Largely due to a lack of communication on the part of Ken et al.

* However, I do have to suffer Windows at work and Firefox there is close to being the "glass of ice water for someone in hell" - TMP, Showcase and Tab Catalog are the ice cubes that make it bearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Firefox is just not a good browser on the Mac*, and Safaristand is an input manager hack and I don't want input manager hacks on my machine...
And, I am tired of fishing for FF plugins. Omniweb is like the Macintosh of browsers: all of the most desirable features in one nice package. FF has SO MANY wonderful plugins, but I am tired of fishing for them, installing them, and have hem go AWOL or beta whenever there is a new FF release. I gotta get some work done at some point!

So, I can't wait for the sneaky peek.

Payam

I want my history cache to create Spotlight friendly files.

I know this is probably a 6.0 feature, rather than a 5.6 feature, but I want it, and I want it now!!!

Love,
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Hey Everyone,

Just a heads up that we're planning on pushing out a sneaky peek tomorrow. Keep an eye out for it here on the forums!
Huzzah!

Now I'm going to be obsessively reloading the forum until it's released.

Ironically, given the JavaScript used by this forum, that process will undoubtedly degrade my current OmniWeb instance's performance even further. :P

*Apple-R*

"Crap! Not yet!"

*Apple-R*

try again :)

Just in case people haven't seen the thread :)

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3972