The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interested in seeing if Export to Visio is important to more peeps Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use my iPad in company meetings to flowchart what the client is suggesting. It's great to show the client and then email them the Visio version. Quite a few folks have asked what drawing package I use and I'm only to pleased to tell them it's OmniGraffle

I switched to another product after about a month of using Omni simply because I found I really needed Visio export to keep compatibility with colleagues at work. If this feature is made available in future, I am likely to switch back to Omni as it's nicer but at the moment, Omni is sitting in a folder I keep 'not used' apps in.

I would love to see the ability to import and export directly from OmniGraffle. I currently use TouchDraw instead of OmniGraffle just because I know that I can move the data back out to Visio for work. For personal/side projects, I use OmniGraffle because for everything else, it is a superior application. I do not have a Mac, so I am unable to convert to Visio using that work-around.

I use Visio 2007/2010 for wireframes, sitemaps, etc. and want to share these with a vendor who uses OG (and Axure), and vice versa. I understand that v5 supports this but haven't tried exchanging files between the two apps.
Thanks,
Anthony

One + for Visio Export from iPad.

Making Diagrams in Workshops and then I need to email it to my Work PC (no Mac, no Chance). There I need it in Visio format ...

Please give us support about this, Omni.

Regards,

Niels

Please add viso export and if possible import

+1 for this feature.

I understand the technical limits of iOS. And I am personally an all OS X setup at work but co-workers are not so it would be nice to be able to share to Visio users.

Plus I think you would sell lots more versions for the iPad.

ABSOLUTELY. This is a very necessary feature. In this day and with the iPad into the business environmental it is indispensable to import and export to visio format....

I understand the problem of the RAM limitation hampering conversion. However, you could try the "Zombie Booth" (among others) method of uploading the document to a server for conversion.

You would need to do something clever to manage the documents since it would not make sense to bring the Visio-formatted docs into OmniGraffle as a normal document. Maybe an email gateway would work in the short-term. At worst, you could release another app that does nothing but handle the communication with the server. The user would select the new app as the "Open in..." option from Mail. The app would send the file up and the converted file would be sent back to the same address. The conversion direction would just be determined by the incoming file type.

Another +1 to the idea of Visio export (and, ideally, import). I’ve come to rely on OmniGraffle Pro’s ability to work on Visio diagrams from my work - and it would be a real advantage to be able to do the same on the iPad.