The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bonjour sync works at home, not at work Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I noticed that many had trouble with Bonjour syncing but I didn't see if anyone else had this problem. My "primary" computer is a MacBook Pro that I take back and forth between work and home. I also have an iPhone 3G.

When I'm at home and connected to my home wireless network, the laptop and phone sync together over Bonjour just fine. But when I'm at work and connected to their wireless network, I get the "unable to find sync server" error message.

I tried playing with the MBP's firewall settings as described in the sticky posts for this forum, but it didn't change things. The only variable is the network, so there must be something about my work's network that's blocking the connection. Or could it be that the IP address changes when I switch networks?

Any clues on diagnosing and fixing this kind of issue?

I'm syncing between Iphone 4.0.2 and mac (10.5.8) via bonjour. I cannot use my network at home (crappy router).
Version: OF 1.7.5 on desktop and the latest available version on iphone.

I have develop trouble since buying Iphone 4.0. At home i have to reset database, shutdown phone and then reinitiate sync and then it works (at home). But at work even this does not work and continue to get the same error "unable to find sync server".

- I did remove OF from the phone and reinstalled it with no success.

Thanks for any help.

Jagadish.

Hi,

I posted something a few weeks ago in the Bonjour sync forum but didn't get any help. I hope you don't mind me reposting.

Quote:
My "primary" computer is a MacBook Pro that I take back and forth between work and home. I also have an iPhone 3G.

When I'm at home and connected to my home wireless network, the laptop and phone sync together over Bonjour just fine. But when I'm at work and connected to their wireless network, I get the "unable to find sync server" error message.

I tried playing with the MBP's firewall settings as described in the sticky posts for this forum, but it didn't change things. The only variable is the network, so there must be something about my work's network that's blocking the connection. Or could it be that the IP address changes when I switch networks?
Is it not possible to sync over Bonjour on different wi-fi networks? Do I have to go the MobileMe/WebDAV route?

It's certainly possible, leingang, but most work/school/public networks have more security*— were they to unblock certain services, like Bonjour, it would work.

Is there someone you can ask to do this? If not, WebDAV might be the best route!

Sorry we missed this originally - we browse the forums as we're able, but we can't guarantee that we'll see everything. However, if you email our support ninjas, you are guaranteed a response.

The most likely cause here is that something about the way the wireless network itself is configured that's preventing the two editions of OmniFocus from talking to each other.

If you have someone responsible for administering the network there, they may have to give you permission to sync. (If they're not sure what to do, our support ninjas are happy to work with them.)

For what it's worth, I generally recommend WebDAV sync to customers these days. WebDAV sync means you can sync your devices any time they have access to the internet - the devices don't have to be on the same network, in other words. The technology it depends on is also far less likely to run into network configuration issues like this.

There's a list of free or inexpensive services you can use for WebDAV sync in this thread; we're also in the process of testing a sync server that our customers can use at no charge. Info on our server is available here, if that helps...

Brian, derek, thanks for replying. I know you guys can't keep on top of everything. I chose the forum over email just because I thought users might be able to help me straightaway. I don't mind bumping a post to give it a second chance to be seen.

So I'm likely correct in guessing that something about the wifi network at work is blocking bonjour. I will talk to my own support ninjas and see what can be done. It's quite possible they will be able to help me with a WebDAV server. Or I can get MobileMe and charge it to work.