The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is it possible to sync OF on the iPad with iCal on the iPad? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not going to be using a desktop version of OF on an upcoming trip and want to sync OF on the iPad with iCal on the iPad.

Can this be done?

Thanks In Advance.

Z

OmniFocus for iPad can export information to the calendar application on the iPad, but two-way sync isn't possible. OS X has some features that make it a little easier to support this than iOS does at the moment.

(Apps on the mobile platform are a little more insulated from each other - they don't want some rogue app wreaking havoc on your phone book or calendar.)

Whoops, hit post too soon. :-)

Happy to answer any follow up questions, of course, but since the iPad app launched, email and phone support has kept us pretty busy; haven't been able to spend as much time on the forums...

Hard to know for sure, but you may get a faster response if you send email to the support ninjas.

Brian, I'm curious how you automatically export to the iPad calendar? I have synced with MobileMe and it imports data that way. But I have two other people in my department who are not MobileMe subscribers and I cannot figure out how to get their data onto their calendar apps.

OmniFocus exports data to a .ics file during the sync process; iCal then subscribes to that file and periodically checks it for updated info.

They'll need someplace similar to an iDisk to store their exported data - they're welcome to set up accounts on our Omni Sync Server if they don't have WebDAV access through some other provider. (There's no charge to use our server.)

I really like the iCal Feature. What's interesting is that there does not seem to be consistency to what actually appears and what does not. I have probably 40 actions in my OF that have specific due dates or reoccurring dates and only a few actually show up on my iCal. Nothing before yesterday and only a few within the next 6 days. I have 8 that have a due date ithe next week and only 4 of them actually show up.

Is there a setting that says "all events" or a specific range that I'm missing?

Doug

Okay - Scratch that. Ended up finding my answer. The headline is that OF's iCal does not contain every action (contexted or not) that is in your OF. I don't understand why - seems like it should, if for no other reason than an ability to mix meetings / calendar stuff with gtd actions. No sense scheduling an all day meeting when you have a set of flagged OF actions due on the same day.

Lots of posts in their forums, so hopefully the OF Team will take heed and allow some flexibility in their iCal capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmccready View Post
Okay - Scratch that. Ended up finding my answer. The headline is that OF's iCal does not contain every action (contexted or not) that is in your OF. I don't understand why - seems like it should, if for no other reason than an ability to mix meetings / calendar stuff with gtd actions. No sense scheduling an all day meeting when you have a set of flagged OF actions due on the same day.
Just because a task is due on a certain date (or starts on a certain date) doesn't generally mean that is the date on which the work is actually done! And what of tasks that will take more than a day's effort, or those with no start/due dates?

This is a commonly requested feature, but it isn't likely to reliably accomplish what the proposers desire. A better approach is to mark off blocks of time on the calendar for those big items yourself, when you agree to them.

OmniFocus is not a scheduling program, but a program for tracking your commitments so that you can make the most effective choices of what to work on at any given point.
Quote:
Lots of posts in their forums, so hopefully the OF Team will take heed and allow some flexibility in their iCal capabilities.
If you want them to take heed, you need to send in your feedback with Help->Send Feedback, not just post it on the forum. Similarly, if you have a question for which you need an answer from Omni, you need to do the same. The forum is primarily for user to user communication, and there is no guarantee any given post will even be seen by the right Omni staffer in a timely manner, much less acted upon in some useful fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you want them to take heed, you need to send in your feedback with Help->Send Feedback, not just post it on the forum. Similarly, if you have a question for which you need an answer from Omni, you need to do the same. The forum is primarily for user to user communication, and there is no guarantee any given post will even be seen by the right Omni staffer in a timely manner, much less acted upon in some useful fashion.
Did that - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom View Post
I'm not going to be using a desktop version of OF on an upcoming trip and want to sync OF on the iPad with iCal on the iPad.

Can this be done?

Thanks In Advance.

Z
As far as I know Apple doesn't support task functions in their calendars in iPhone or iPad. This might change, but it won't happen in the foreseeable future. There are third-party programs in iPhone/iPad and Mac that would allow you to do this, but it leads to a convoluted setup in order to make this happen and in my experience it's worth more trouble than what it's worth.