The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sending tasks via email Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just to be clear, the "after" bit means that if your email address is "foo@bar.com", you would use "foo+omnifocus@bar.com"

Now that I look at it, this isn't clear at all from the preferences pane and is only understandable if you know this is part of the standard for email addresses. I'll make a UI bug to add some explanatory text here.

Still, some mail servers are non-conforming, and will reject or strip the "+" notation. This is one reason there are two options for recognizing mail intended for OmniFocus. If the '+omnifocus' doesn't work for you, you could try switching mail providers if this shortcut is important to you (you can add the +omnifocus address to your Address Book and have it complete in your iPhone's To field), or you can switch to the subject prefix approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Still, some mail servers are non-conforming, and will reject or strip the "+" notation.
Just to be clear, a mail server rejecting the "+" notation is not non-conforming. The relevant RFCs clearly say that the "local part" of the address (ie everything to the left of the @) can be interpreted in any way the mail system chooses. Many Unix mail servers support the address+suffix syntax as a convention, but it's not in any way a standard.

Aside from that, sending tasks via email is working very well for me... I have no access to my home Macs from work and have been sending myself a steady stream of tasks as I think of them.

But what would be even better would be if I could interact with OmniFocus a little more. For example if I could send a few more commands ... The obvious ones are:-

* Email me a list of all the next tasks I should be doing in context "foo" (and its subcontexts)

* Or Email me a list of tasks in a particular perspective

* Mark some task "foo" as complete and optionally email me the next task in that project (say, if it belongs in the same context).

For bonus points, an option for the level of markup used to make the output "pretty" - consider the following: Desktop PC, iPhone, basic mobile phone email display.

Do it correctly and you have a workable (if clunky) mobile interface that the iPhone users have been clamouring for. And once that's in place, someone else can wrap it in a simple application (iPhone or Java ME) to make it more presentable...

Pete.

[sigh] i wish i could get the Mail rule to work, but i cannot. i turned the rule off, closed omniF, closed Mail, restarted OmniF, activated the '--' rule, and opened Mail. I can see the rule in Mail, send myself an email with a '--' subject prefix, but it never lands in the omniF inbox. any other hints?

i'm on 10.4.10.

Does the From address in the Mail match one of the approved addresses (defaulting to all the address in your card in Address Book)? If not, you can add an explicit address via our Mail preferences pane.

You might also try using the context menu on the message and picking "Apply Rules" to see if there is any problem invoking the rule.

Are there any messages in /Applications/Utilities/Console.app after doing "Apply Rules"?

And of course, if you are using any 3rd party system hacks, it would be worth disabling them and relaunching Mail and OmniFocus to see if they are the culprit.

I second Pete's suggestion for more interaction with e-mail, that would be excellent.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I changed my prefix from "--" to "TODO: " and it doesn't strip that off the start of the actions it creates... I had hoped it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphtron View Post
[sigh] i wish i could get the Mail rule to work, but i cannot. i turned the rule off, closed omniF, closed Mail, restarted OmniF, activated the '--' rule, and opened Mail. I can see the rule in Mail, send myself an email with a '--' subject prefix, but it never lands in the omniF inbox. any other hints?
Try checking your current mail rules in Mail Preferences. I found an old rule that said "Stop Processing Rules" from a brief affair with Act-On. Once I disabled this rule (and checked other rules for the same thing), this feature started working (and it seems pretty slick).

Randy

The "+omnifocus" thing is using an obscure feature of the email standard called extended addresses. You need to include that along with your username before the @ symbol. For example, if your address is jgalt@gulch.com, you'd need to send email to "jgalt+omnifocus@gulch.com" for OmniFocus's mail rule to pick it up. Unfortunately, not all mail servers support this feature (*cough*exchange*cough*), so your milage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewminer View Post
Unfortunately, not all mail servers support this feature (*cough*exchange*cough*), so your milage may vary.
Why, Andrew - whatever do your mean? ;-)

I'm trying to use the +omnifocus task option. The email arrives in my mail.app but it does not show up in my omnifocus. This seems to be a much better option than the "--" catch because for some reason I would pickup on the wrong thing.

Also, my single action box is missing and i'm wondering if that has anything to do with me not getting my taskers I send via email. Any quess on how to make the original "misc folder"

Thanks!

To be honest, I am finding it simpler and more robust to use iNik's excellent Twitter hack

When you are at work or an alien machine, you can type one or more actions (with optional notes, due dates, contexts and projects) in a Twitter, and Proxi will automatically pick them up, (the next time you log in to your mac), and transfer them straight into Omnifocus, without any manual intervention.

Note that the script to be placed in Proxi (a free download) should now be amended (following a recent change in Omnifocus applescript, and as detailed in one of the posts in the thread) to:

Code:
tell application "OmniFocus" to tell default document
	parse tasks with transport text ("[Message]") without as single task
end tell