The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OF and raw information Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
@peterlemer I use Evernote in the situation you are describing. A big benefit you will have is that if you would (as an example) store License info of programs you have purchased in Evernote, if you need to access this information elsewhere - or in another platform, you will always have this information at hand and it wont be lost in case of a hard disk fault..

You can make your data hierarchy very neat in Evernote as well and it even supports tagging.

Last edited by devastat; 2011-05-09 at 08:39 AM..

I continue to tinker (unproductively, it must be said), and from time to time re-try the usual suspects (such as Evernote), as well as anything new that comes down the pike. I find myself, however, more and more simply using the Finder, placing stuff in a few folders, and relying on searches to find stuff. As for integration with OF, I clip documents (or whatever) into OF, and OF will keep track of where ever I put it. I am still in search of the holy grail, but for now, keeping it simple.

I'm still using a combination of Finder and Yojimbo. Seems to be working pretty well for me, although I'm always on the look out for something better.

-Dennis

good comment, though for license info I use 1Password, which is superb.

What I like about the Evernote demo (that I've just downloaded following your comment), is the simple idea of a notepad, many of which I use for real in my studio... So in that sense my brain can dance with it right away :-)

However, 'notepads' are no different to 'projects' in 'things' or 'Hit List' and the latter have layers, too. Yojimbo only has one layer of note, too.

I think I like sub-notes, even for raw information.

What I like especially about Evernote, though, is that it speaks android. :-)

choices... choices....

wdiadamo, Toadling - I'm tickled by the idea of using Finder as a filing system but at the same time rather scared to jump there right now with this huge project underway.

I suspect that my best way forward immediately is to get OF under control, which it isn't atm , and use one of the layered options of secondary PIMS as data storage.

In fact, contrary to my parallel comment, attractive as Things' is, it isn't really layered very much. 'Hit List' may be more functional for my needs but just to stir the pot I am revisiting Journier - which has ample layering and might hit the spot <crosses fingers> :-)

pete

pete